Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon Lens advice

Re: Canon Lens advice

Invest in glass is the way to go. Body can wait, in 6 months you can get a 50D for around $900.

Right now you need a multi purpose walk around lens, and the 24-70 f/2.8Lis one of the best for that job if you read Bryan's Lens Recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

Invest in glass is the way to go. Body can wait, in 6 months you can get a 50D for around $900.

Right now you need a multi purpose walk around lens, and the 24-70 f/2.8Lis one of the best for that job if you read Bryan's Lens Recommendation.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

The 50D is a very poor coice for those who shoot in low light at high ISO's. I can tell you speaking from personal experience the 5D (and 5DII, 1DsIII) are the best Canon bodies for low light event work. Shoot at 1600-3200 with no fear, go over 800 on the 50D and prepare to run all your images through some very heavy NR.

To the OP: For your type of work I'm not sure the additional cost of the 5DMKII will do you any good. Sure ISO performance has increased, and there are a few bells an whistles, but 21mp is a lot of camera and you will only be using about 50% of that on any given day (unless of course you plan on printing larger than 40-60" on a regular basis). AF is still the same old AF, even though people claim its a tad faster. IMO, while its a better camera in every way I don't think it's a cost effective decision for your use--though thats completely up to you to decide. If anything get a 5D now and save up for a 24-70/70-200 instead of waiting to afford the 5DII.

MVers-

That sounds like the best idea. I appreciate all your advice as well as every one else's. Thanks everyone!