Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannon rebel t2i beginners tips on what lens to buy?

Re: Cannon rebel t2i beginners tips on what lens to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    As a first lens, go with the kit 18-55 or perhaps the 18-200 (on Roger's suggestion). Add a tripod and medium flash, then do a 50/1.8 or 85/1.8 prime. Then decide what you need next.

I can't agree more. the 85mm 1.8 will let you understand what is fast, sharp, DOF, bokeh..... for less than $400, don't forget hood and filter!

since you mentioned you will buy your T2i from Amazon, I believe they sell T2i with kit lens for $850, so why not get a refurbished 50D with or without kit lens for less than $900 from Adorama instead?

I

wow i didnt think that this many people would respond good golly, kit lens it is then and then see what i want from there cool thanks for the advice helped a ton!

oh and any suggestions on good tri pods? yes i want to take video too

okay thats sweet your right i wont be buying a diffrent camera/full frame for the next 3-5 years thanks

thanks jan

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb

oh and any suggestions on good tri pods? yes i want to take video too

Tripods are very important for still photography, but they exponentially more important for video. A lot of people make do with a $200 tripod for still photography because once they setup the shot, they don't have to move it. (Though I recommend spending at least a grand on your still photo tripod+ball head.) But when it comes to video, you can't just setup the shot and leave it -- many of the shots involve panning, tilting, zooming, and focusing. To accommodate this, the tripod has to be much better mechanically, which means more expensive.

At a bare minimum, I would suggest the Manfrotto 503HDV head (~$400) and at least that much for the sticks to go with it, like the 536 ($550) or a compatible 75mm ball Gitzo (~$900).

Of course, the best tripods are more in the $10,000 - $20,000 range, but that should be able to give you really good results.

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />