Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Color Space : sRGB or Adobe RGB? Why?

Re: Color Space : sRGB or Adobe RGB? Why?

Madison,

I gotta here your take on the flawed blue to white gradient deal. How can a gradient from 255,255,255 to 0,0,255 be flawed? I'm an engineer, technicals excite me!

Let's start another thread!!

Chuck

I use sRGB because I can't see the difference between the two []

You have 2 things to know when it comes to colorspace. If your putting your images on the web, use SRGB, most browsers (all except Safari, and Firefox) do not support anything higher than srgb, so if you put a picture on the web in Adobe RGB anyone looking at it will see incorrect colors. Also if you get a wide Gamut monitor and enable Adobe rgb color space, most webpages will look like crap, ie anything in SRGB will not display properly on your monitor (everyone elses pictures)

If you are printing to cheap places use SRGB, as they most likely will screw up a Adobe RGB image.

in other words, stick with the standard SRGB. Keep your raw files, as in the future you can display them all as adobe rgb etc.

I'm a proponent of calibrating where you can.

There's general white balance, but there's also gamma curves, which or course can affect the issue of, "white balance at how bright?". I played with some pictures with my new laptop. Then I calibrated the laptop. Some stuff I had played around with prior to calibration were way screwed up.

I find when I have my monitor calibrated and my printer/paper profiled, the results are more consistent. They aren't exact, but they're at least fairly predictable.

On the color space issue, sRGB is the hands down standard if you want it fairly universally compatible. I was using Adobe RGB for my .jpg output, and was wondering why so many things (but not all, depending on content) looked so muted and desaturated (on web links) compared to when I was looking at them in DPP. When I found out that web browsers don't support Adobe RGB, it all made sense. If the display chain can't (or won't) display the full range, what it displays is then compressed in terms of dynamic range and/or color saturation.

It seems that when flipping back in DPP usingsRGB color space will allow you to maximize your 'pop' with standard computer imaging applications. However, Adobe RGB allows a little more detail at the extremes of dynamic range and color saturation. Of course, you should select the color space output first before you apply any post processing.

I work in Adobe RGB if I'm going to be printing. Otherwise, I go sRGB.