Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Split focus screens for 5D mark II?

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    even though Canon doesn't support the focus screen as being replaceable. It was inserted for assembly, so it can come out... maybe? Time will tell.
    I'm presuming that the 5D3 screen can be replaced just as easily as the 7D screen. I put my KatzEye split-prism screen in my 7D a few weeks ago, and it's definitely worth it. Installation was nowhere near as hard as they make it out to be with all their warning as such (which are all basically "you can do it yourself, but if you stuff up your camera, we take no responsibility").

I've tried it with a lot of lenses already, mostly FL 55 f/1.2, Zeiss MC Biometar 120/2.8, and 70-300L + Kenko1.4x.

The FL 55 was the first I tried after installing, and I found that at a focus distance of maybe 50cm at f/1.2, the photo and live-view (and AF chip) were focussed maybe 1-2cm closer than the prism was telling me. I haven't had time to investigate fully, firstly tried changing the Diopter which helped a bit but not enough. There's nothing wrong with the screen itself, and i kept all the shims from the original screen. But the original screen just wasn't accurate enough so whether it was calibrated properly or not didn't make any difference.
    So it's either that I need thicker or thinner shims for the focussing screen, or maybe the mirror isn't exactly in the right spot. Not sure how I could go about fixing either of these to be honest, so i'm going to have to do more testing with more lenses at more apertures to see how bad a problem it's going to turn out to be.

But with the 70-300L and 1.4x Kenko t/c, it was pretty damn accurate because it was down to f/8 and deeper DOF masked any calibration problems, i'll have to post some samples when i get time to process them.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Another example from the Katzeye in the T1i. This was taken with my new Rokinon 85mm f1.4. This lens has a long, smooth focus throw and is super easy to nail focus wide open. Serious bang for the buck at $277.

Mark - Flickr

Got my Rokinon 35mm f1.4 today. This lens in combination with the Katzeye makes focusing a dream. This may be the best option for manual focus short of a Zeiss.

Last edited by M_Six; 05-04-2012 at 02:34 PM.
    Mark - Flickr

I've been hemming and hawing on that lens for half a year now. Haven't heard much that is negative about it. That and a 20 or 21 mm would cover my landscape shots. It amazed me when I started looking at my wide end stats that close to 3/4 of them are clustered around the two focal lengths. Can't argue the price point of the Samyang. If my local shop doesn't get them in soon, I may just have to pick one up next time I'm south of the border.

So, I take it that you are finding the focus screen to be working out well for you? You seem to be posting shots with nailed focus. If I may ask, what percentage of your shots are focused on your intended target now that you have had some time with it?

I tend to shoot mulitple shots with MF, just to make sure. But the six or seven shots I took of the corn stalks like the one above all came out fine. They were just different perspectives. For sure there are more missed focus shots than when using an AF lens, and you have to pick your time to use MF, but with stationary subjects I seem to have no problem nailing focus given enough light. And that point is critical, because even with a fast lens wide open, low light makes it difficult to see the focus donut on the Katzeye. I'm thinking I should have gone with the Opti-bright treatment after all, but I'd really like to read some reviews from folks who have Opti-bright to see if it really works.

I've also read some good reviews about the focus confirmation chip you can stick in the Roki line of lenses. Not sure I want to go that route, though. That just goes back to leaving the focus decisions to the camera.
    Mark - Flickr

Lately I've been using MF on the 7D and I have to say, it's easier to MF on the 7D with the stock screen than it is with the T1i with the Katzeye. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have bought the Katzeye. It works ok and if your only body is a Rebel model then it's worth it. But I can't say the T1i with the Katzeye is better than the 7D with the stock screen.
    Mark - Flickr

I got the OptiBrite on my Katzeye for my 7D (but then, i can't compare to a non-Optibrite screen).
    with the 70-300L and Kenko 1.4x, at 300/5.6 (420mm f/8 effective), i can MF perfectly fine, it's bright enough for that. But then, so's the stock screen on my EOS 3 (just not as accurate because it's a matte-something). Using stop-down in my best contortionist-impression, the 7D is usable to about f/11 (f/16 effective) and the EOS 3 craps out at f/8 (f/11 effective)

With the Samyang/rokinon 35/1.4, it starts to get a bit darker but still perfectly good enough to MF (i'm pointing out the window on a fairly cloudy midday right now). In fact, it's more than adequate to frame at f/22 (at which point, who needs to focus?).
    Compare that to sticking the same lens on my EOS 3, at f/8 it's about as useful as the 7D katzeye+ob at f/22. (eos 3 has whatever screen it came with, anyone know what the default is? I've got an EC-c IV in the post soon anyway)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Hello Everyone,

Probably a newbie mistake, but where is the 5D focussing screen at the KatzEye site? The only models are the ones shown below

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Ca...cat_canon.html

Canon® Models
    7D* 10D 20D 30D
    40D 50D 60D 300D (Digital Rebel)
    350D (Rebel XT) 400D (Rebel XTi) 450D (Rebel XSi) 500D (Rebel T1i)
    550D (Rebel T2i) 600D (Rebel T3i) 1000D (Rebel XS)

I don't believe they make the Katzeye for full frame cameras. You'd be better off getting a Canon screen made for the 5D. Cheaper, too.
    Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    I don't believe they make the Katzeye for full frame cameras. You'd be better off getting a Canon screen made for the 5D. Cheaper, too.
    Oh ok, so the EG-S ... not split though, will have to try it out

Thanks