Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1D X, done it, anybody else??

Congrats John.....can't wait for your impressions.....

Congrats on the new camera. As long as you work in poor weather conditions, shoot mostly sport or photojournalism you have one top camera.

If you do neither then im afraid you may have spent money on something you dont need.

Think about what you actually take photos of before you buy a camera. Think about what size you print. Remember you wont see any detail differance between a 1DX and my wifes little G10 camera at A3 at low ISO. I challenge anyone to show me any differance between a print at A3 between cameras such as a Canon G10 and a 1DX. High ISO yes but how often do any of us shoot at high ISO? Work in a studio? Never. Landscape? Never. ETC ETC.

Please, stop chasing advertising blurb and think what you need rarther than what you can tell your friends you own. Im not dissing anyone buying such a superb camera but as an example of my point ill show tou a conversation i had recently..

" Im buying the new Nikon D800"
    Why?
    " Its got 36 million pixels"
    And what size do you print at?
    "A3"
    So you wont notice any differance to your D700.
    "But it will give me medium format quality"
    No it wont oh i give up
    Go away......

An actual conversation i had at my camera club

But it's not about what you *need* as much as what you *want*.
    Where would companies like Apple be without *want*? Their products are twice as much as the competition, leave out lots of features that the competition has (i'm looking at you, ipad sans usb), but their profit margins are ridiculously high because of *want*.
    There's lots of people who are going to *need* a 1DX, i'll never be one of them. But I still *want* one, and maybe will get one one day in 10 years, when they're as cheaps as a 1Ds is now (like $500).

But instead, for now, i'm going backwards.
    Started with a 7D, then got old Manual Focus and Medium Format lenses for it via adapter.
    Last week I shot a roll of 400ISO kodak B+W film, didn't turn out too bad (even 50mm f/1.4, 1/8s handheld).
    Now I'm taking all the money i'm not spending on a 5D3 or 1DX and putting it towards a Hartblei 1006 (or maybe i'll spring for a mamiya645), shoot film for a few years and then maybe find a cheap (relatively) MF back to put on it...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Mickw View Post
    Congrats on the new camera. As long as you work in poor weather conditions, shoot mostly sport or photojournalism you have one top camera.

If you do neither then im afraid you may have spent money on something you dont need.

Think about what you actually take photos of before you buy a camera. Think about what size you print. Remember you wont see any detail differance between a 1DX and my wifes little G10 camera at A3 at low ISO. I challenge anyone to show me any differance between a print at A3 between cameras such as a Canon G10 and a 1DX. High ISO yes but how often do any of us shoot at high ISO? Work in a studio? Never. Landscape? Never. ETC ETC.

Please, stop chasing advertising blurb and think what you need rarther than what you can tell your friends you own. Im not dissing anyone buying such a superb camera but as an example of my point ill show tou a conversation i had recently..

" Im buying the new Nikon D800"
    Why?
    " Its got 36 million pixels"
    And what size do you print at?
    "A3"
    So you wont notice any differance to your D700.
    "But it will give me medium format quality"
    No it wont oh i give up
    Go away......

An actual conversation i had at my camera club
    OMG--This is killing me----Regardless of rationale, particular points, or megapixels, There is nothing quite like holding (and especially owning) a Canon pro-body camera---It's the difference between a Honda 250 and and a Harley Electra Glide. There is no logic that works to overide the shear exhilaration of hitting the send button when you just purchased the top-o-the-line of anything, and especially when you purchase the top-o-the-line Canon pro body camera. People work for years, going to school, working, raising kids etc, eventually, they have the opportunity to buy the best. Well, John, I believe you just bought the best. Though I am envious, more so, I am happy for you. Please don't let any nikonian logic make you second guess your decision.

Congrats again,

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Mickw View Post
    As long as you work in poor weather conditions, shoot mostly sport or photojournalism you have one top camera.

Please, stop chasing advertising blurb and think what you need rarther than what you can tell your friends you own.
    Well, I do shoot in the rain occasionally, I don't shoot much sports and certainly not photojournalism. So what? As Dr. Croubie states, "...it's not about what you *need* as much as what you *want*." When it comes down to it, I don't really need a dSLR - I have a PowerShot S100, and for many things I shoot, that would do the job, else the T1i/500D that I started with would be adequate. FWIW, about 15% of my shots are at ISO 1600 or higher, and those shots are important to me.

I think I can safely agree that I'm spending money on something I don't need. I don't need the 10 L-series lenses that I have, either. But that's ok. It's only money, right? The kids have clothes and shoes (too many of each!), the college funds are there, the retirement fund is there, the mortgage gets paid (and then some, current trajectory has the 30 year loan paid off in less than 18 years), we've got ample liquid assets and a solid investment portfolio, and the camera gear doesn't even get funded from my paycheck, but from consulting I do on the side (the 1D X represents about 25 hours of such work, spread over a few months). So, what's the harm? As Bob said in a post a couple of years ago (gotta love that search is working on the new forums!), "Most ask why I would want such a high end camera if I am not getting paid for my work. Well I just respond----This equipment is my Harley Davidson. Somehow, most folks seem to understand that."

FWIW, I have two groups of friends - one group thinks 'gee, that's a big camera' and wouldn't know - or care - if it's a 1D X or a Rebel XS/1000D. The other group can be exemplified by one couple (husband and wife are both anesthesiologists) who would be far less impressed with my 1D X than I am impressed by the grand piano sitting in the 40-seat music conservatory that's one small 'wing' of their home.

What's more important is that I enjoy taking pictures, and my family and friends appreciate the results. Like the MasterCard commercial says, that's priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Please don't let any nikonian logic make you second guess your decision.
    Not a chance, Bob! But thanks for the support...

--John

I'm in too --- yay! And there's also a 500 f/4 II on the way... what a great pair they will be. The above discussion is excellent... it's good to stop and ponder why we love this sport so much, and why we're willing to invest in it to a rather large degree. Yes I suppose it is kind of like having a Harley, but often it's much more than that. When someone enjoys my photos, I get a big boost from that. Riding a Harley would be just for me. Photography is for me and all the people I can touch with my shots. And it enables me to participate in forums like this, where I can enjoy other people's excellent photos and get huge inspiration and great advice from them at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    As Bob said in a post a couple of years ago (gotta love that search is working on the new forums!), "Most ask why I would want such a high end camera if I am not getting paid for my work. Well I just respond----This equipment is my Harley Davidson. Somehow, most folks seem to understand that."
    That's bang on. Last weekend a friend of mine who knows a little about photography saw my camera bag at my daughter's game and saw my lenses and knows that white and red rings equals $$$ and he commented that is a lot of expensive gear. I replied, well I don't hunt or own quads, I don't fish (well I don't have a big fishing boat), I don't own a snowmobile, and I'm not a car enthusiast; all things a number of our friends are into to the tune of $10,000 and up every few years to get the latest and greatest. The fact is, when people are passionate about something, they'll spend money on it, whether it's a $60k car(s) they drive only in the summer, a $40k fishing boat, a $35k motorcycle, a $15k snowmobile(s), or cheap in comparison $7k 1D X.

After all as John said, it's just money and if I don't spend it on a camera, I'll spend it on something else I want, but most likely don't need. I don't need a 1D X, but I want to have the best equipment possible to take pictures of my kids playing sports, which means having a camera with high ISO capabilities and a good AF system and FPS. That to me is worth the price. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue1ca View Post
    The fact is, when people are passionate about something, they'll spend money on it, whether it's a $60k car(s) they drive only in the summer, a $40k fishing boat, a $35k motorcycle, a $15k snowmobile(s), or cheap in comparison $7k 1D X.
    Thanks, I'm going to use that argument if my missus ever complains that my hobby is too expensive. When you put it in perspective like that, it makes it sound like a dirt-cheap hobby...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Thanks, I'm going to use that argument if my missus ever complains that my hobby is too expensive. When you put it in perspective like that, it makes it sound like a dirt-cheap hobby...
    This is how I justify my stuff. My brother just purchased a 10k skid loader that he didn't need for his farm. I don't farm and this is what I like to do. Better than gambling . John I can't wait to hear your opinions of the monster and show us what it can do. Then sell me your 5D II

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    The other group can be exemplified by one couple (husband and wife are both anesthesiologists) who would be far less impressed with my 1D X than I am impressed by the grand piano sitting in the 40-seat music conservatory that's one small 'wing' of their home.
    Damm, I *knew* I should have been an anesthesiologist! (Some years back I was thinking "anesthesiologist or college teacher..." and I couldn't decide. If only that quarter had come up "heads"!)