Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will a filter save your lens?

Take the filter off when needed - keep on otherwise.

Add one to the filter on group!

It saved my front element two years ago when my Canon lens strap failed.
    Owner of Deevers Photography. If you have some time, visit my website at deeversphoto.com.

I dropped my Sigma 85mm f/1.4 while in Geneva a month or so ago. I had a UV filter on the front. The filter broke and the mounting ring was slightly bent making it difficult to remove however the front element of the lens was fine. BUT... the AF motor was stuffed and there sounded like some internal damage so it was stuffed. Ended up buying another one in Berlin 2 days later because I love the lens so much.

So yep - it can certainly protect your front element (I use a filter on all of my lenses), as can a lens hood (I use it on all but the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 because I love the crazy flare you get without the hood and shooting into the sun - most people don't like flare, I reckon it's your friend). But a significant impact will do more damage than just the front element.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I use them just so I won't waste my time worrying about whether that little spec of dust is a scratch, and then in an effort to remove it without my blower or brush, smear the junk all over and make a mess of things.

I don't believe in front element protection, it doesn't feel real when I shoot

All

I originally had UV filters on all my lens. It lasted for only a month on my EF-S 10-22, the flare was unacceptable, with any bright light. Reflections on night shots as well meant that I never found a reason to put any of them back on.

Why would anybody buy a new EF 70-200L IS II and stuff the IQ by installing a filter?

@Sinh Nhut Nguyen

If you want go and play always put on you Wellies.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    ... I originally had UV filters on all my lens. It lasted for only a month on my EF-S 10-22, the flare was unacceptable ...
    May I ask what kind of filter you were using? I've always used B+W, they're expensive but the quality of the glass is a notch above the vast majority of the competition. I've never experienced any problems with flare beyond what I expect from my lenses to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by w349 View Post
    May I ask what kind of filter you were using? .... I've never experienced any problems with flare beyond what I expect from my lenses to begin with.
    Here Here.... I have been using Hoya super multicoated since the beginning. I too have never seen any "extra" flare. There have been times where I just knew that some flare I was getting was secondary to the filter. Took it off and then the same image was produced. If you get multicoated high quality filters, you shouldn't have any issues.

I did a test awhile ago and was very impressed with the B+W MRC UV filter:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Direct+light-B+W+MRC_JPG-800x0.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	538

Versus no UV filter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Direct+light-no+UV+filter_JPG-800x0.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	539

Granted, a better test would probably would have been to put the light in the top corner. But still, very little difference. I also tested a cheap UV filter that generated plenty of haze. Both shots are 7D with my EFS 15-85

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I did a test awhile ago and was very impressed with the B+W MRC UV filter
    When I bought my 70-200 F4L IS second hand it included a regular B+W 67mm UV filter. I had quite some issues with flares(not the nice ones). when I replaced it with the B+W UV MRC filter it made quite a difference. So even in the same brand there can be differences.
    I've got B+W MRC filters on all of my lenses from the second I bought them and never regretted them.

When my girlfriend bought the 85mm 1.8 last year the salesman recommend the Tiffen Digital HT filters over the B+W MRC. According to him they were better and cheaper. At that time the Tiffen was not in stock so we ended up with a B+W anyway, but can anybody shine a light on the Tiffen Digital HT filters?

I have six different Tiffen Digital HT filters and swear by them, though I've never owned a different brand. I will say that I don't notice a difference in IQ or flair with them on.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers