Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Beast (EF400 f/2.8 L IS USM)

Re: The Beast (EF400 f/2.8 L IS USM)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

I've used the 5DII and 1DIIN, and it seems to me that the 1DIIN focuses faster on a moving target and is more responsive (perhaps just shutter lag). However, I have not noticed that the 5DII focuses less accurately, and seems to work in lower light.

One thing: the further away the subjects are, the greater the DOF and the less quickly focus has to change as the subjects move. So it might be that sports photography with long lenses is actually less demanding on autofocus speed than taking pictures of say, a kid 10 feet away who is running around or on a swing.

When I first got the 5DII I thought I would still use the 1DIIN a lot in situations when speed and focus accuracy were important. Turns out, I use the 5DII almost exclusively.

Very nice pic by the way. I'm just glad I don't do sports photography, because if I did the tension between lust for the 400 f/2.8 and the $7000 would be very painful.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I agree completely. My 1DMKII is sitting quietly on a shelf wondering why it doesn't go out to play as often.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

I just know what works for me in the real world where I shoot.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

That's good to know! But I'm still patiently waiting to see if anything "better" is announced as I plan to get it for myself for an X-mas gift

I have shared much of your same experience with the 5D Mk2 as a sports body. I sold my 1D Mk3 at the end of last basketball season and this will be my first football season without it. I primarily use the 1D2N and 1D2 (as backup) for sports, but I used my 5D Mk2 for baseball this summer and it was a wonderful performer. As I only shoot High School and younger, the FPS may not be as crucial as it is at the college and pro levels.

AF on the 5D2 is as good as my 1D2N and 1D2 (I also did not have the AF issues with my 1D3 that some of my friend's experienced with thiers).

I have not used the 400 2.8 IS, as I own the non-IS. I would love to use the IS to see if it would be worth the extra $$$ for me to upgrade to the IS version of this lens.

Looks to me like the 5D2 and 400 2.8 IS make for a killer combo!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

AF performance is an interesting question...

I own 4 Canon bodies (XT, XTi, 1D MK II, 5D MKII) and use 3 additional Canon cameras (XT, XSi, 1Ds MKIII) at work. I feel like Ihave pretty broad experience with the different bodies. I sure have a feel for what each onedoes well.

The answer everyone would expect is that the AF performace and frame rate of the 5D MKII is inferior to the 1-series and not well suited for sports, but that just isn't my real world experience. I wish I had a 1D MKIII or a 1D MKII N to add to the comparison, butwith the bodies I own and use, the 5D MKII is the best sports camera. I really like the frame rate of the 1D MKII, but I don't find itfocuses more accuratelythan the 5D MKII. I'm surethat the 1D MKIII gets some shots at 10 frames per second that I'm missing, but the5D's high ISO capability combined with the insane level of cropping its images support makeit the camera of choice for me.

I know there are lots of technical reasons the 1DMKIII should be a better sports rig; weather sealing, faster frame rate andmore AF points come to mind, but I prefer the 5D MKII in all circustancessavepouring rain.My personal experience with the 5DMKII has me tossing about 5% of my shots due to focus and that isabout the same level I get with theID MKII.

The big advantage of the 5DMKII is the quality obtainable at high ISO which allowsaction freezing shutter speeds through long lenses on pourly lit fields.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>