Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you kidding me.......Another flash head

The only thing I find crazy is that you think you can improve on your HB shots....seriously Bob, give the rest of us a chance to catch up.....

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Thanks for all the laughs and and understanding support. To all my fellow addicts, Thanks again for all your support and of course, credit card donations are accepted.

Bob
    I would love to make a credit card donation...specifically, I'd like to donate my bill.

Why shoot at 1/64 if you're trying to eliminate ambient? I can understand wanting to get blur on the wings but ... don't you need ambient for that (or some other continuous/long pulse light)?

I dunno.. after some serious soul searching and existential dialogue, I opted to only go with ONE PCB Einstein and a tt5 trigger for my 430 instead of two Einsteins.. in favor of a 60" LED TV. The decision was a staggering one. It never really occurred to me before that my money could be spent on.. things that aren't photography related! (?) I say there's hope for us!
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

@ChadS - I think Bob is trying to eliminate wing blur. I'm guessing that Bob mis-typed in his post - he didn't mean "1/64th of a second," he meant 1/64 flash power setting. That's the minimum power setting for the flash. Capacitor-driven strobes don't have variable intensities - when they're on, they're on at 100%; when you use lower power, what you're getting is shorter duration of light - that's needed to eliminate the wing blur (the duration of a full-power flash is too long). So, to overcome ambient light but still maintain the shortest possible flash duration, you need more flashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    I dunno.. after some serious soul searching and existential dialogue, I opted to only go with ONE PCB Einstein and a tt5 trigger for my 430 instead of two Einsteins.. in favor of a 60" LED TV. The decision was a staggering one. It never really occurred to me before that my money could be spent on.. things that aren't photography related! (?) I say there's hope for us!
    You do realize you can view your pictures on your new TV? It isn’t a total loss….

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    a 60" LED TV. The decision was a staggering one. It never really occurred to me before that my money could be spent on.. things that aren't photography related! (?) I say there's hope for us!
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but your 7D has an HDMI output port, and your new TV has an HDMI input port, so it IS photography related....

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    So, to overcome ambient light but still maintain the shortest possible flash duration, you need more flashes.
    Or here is a thought and suggestion for Bob. He could build a shade structure over his feeder to cut out the ambient light. Or perhaps he has already done this.

Or a wildly radical approach to capture a hummingbird with no wing blur:

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Or a wildly radical approach to capture a hummingbird with no wing blur:

So.. I don't know if you knew.. but I work for Microsoft.. I was totally on a conference call with some big wigs when I peeked at this.. they were discussing our numbers and wondering what went wrong. I laughed! Most. Uncomfortable. Silence. EVER.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers