Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beauty Dish

Re: Beauty Dish

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

If the Lamodi guy actually used a flash like the 580EXII with a longer flash head, the results would have been a little different. I think he may have looked for the shortest flash he could find.

With a simple mod, to close up the back of the other dish, I think it would actually be a good modifier.

If you are DIY person, I can find the link the Lamodi ripped the idea for his from and for about $15-$20 trip to the Home Depot Garden Center and an hour or so of your time you could make your own.

I know you're not a fan of it, but you could at least spell it correctly-- Lumodi. :-) And from what I can tell, he used Sony's flash that is basically an equivalent to a 430EX in shape and specs (and I don't see anything wrong with that).

Truth be told, sure, you could make this a DIY project. I'm sure that's how Brandon came up with his final design--by creating, testing, modifying, testing, etc--all to reach afinal design. I've talked to Brandon on a couple of occasions, and I know he went through several stages (like figuring out the optimal shape, material weight, securing mechanism, and paint) when creating his product. I'm sure he'll keep making incremental changes until he feels everything works the best way it possibly can.

Simply put, I don't have the time, patience, or attention to create a beauty dish for my speedlights. The price was well worth it to me. After having used the product many times, I can honestly say I like the way the light is shaped when using the Lumodi--and I'll continue to use it when I feel it's appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I know you're not a fan of it, but you could at least spell it correctly-- Lumodi. :-)

Oops! I thought it was French, like La Modi :-)

I don't dislike the product. I think it serves a good purpose, I admit I have obsessing need to point out the light is not like a beauty dish. I never said the light was bad, just not the same as a beauty dish. I even advised that the Lumodi was more light efficient than the Ephotodiscounters.

I didn't mean any offense to you or anyone who purchases one. I just said if Denise was a DIY person she could save money since she was looking to save $20 between the two. I know not everyone is a DIYer or even have the time to be.

What I do have an issue with and I guess it comes through in my post is that the Lumodi is based on a tutorial that someone else came up with and put out there for free and now this guy is making money off it. I know that happens all the time and all the ones that I know about irk me too.

Sorry Sean, didn't mean any offense.

Did I ever mention I was jerk?(probably didn't need to)

Oops! I thought it was French, like La Modi :-)

I don't dislike the product. I think it serves a good purpose, I admit I have obsessing need to point out the light is not like a beauty dish. I never said the light was bad, just not the same as a beauty dish. I even advised that the Lumodi was more light efficient than the Ephotodiscounters.

I didn't mean any offense to you or anyone who purchases one. I just said if Denise was a DIY person she could save money since she was looking to save $20 between the two. I know not everyone is a DIYer or even have the time to be.

What I do have an issue with and I guess it comes through in my post is that the Lumodi is based on a tutorial that someone else came up with and put out there for free and now this guy is making money off it. I know that happens all the time and all the ones that I know about irk me too.

Sorry Sean, didn't mean any offense.

Did I ever mention I was jerk?(probably didn't need to)

I know you didn't mean any offense. AndI'm sure you're right, Brandon took someone else's idea, refined it, and started selling it. It's like changingthe oil in my car--there are a hundred tutorials online showing you how to do it yourself for free--but I'd rather go down to Pennzoil and have them change itfor a fee(because it's easier and more convenient). How is that any different?

I've also read forums where he postedtipsfor DIYers to help them in their endeavor to make their own dish. He felt it was good business to help those who were hell-bent on doing it themselves. He knows that if someone puts as much time and effort into their own dish as he put into the Lumodi's design, they'd likely realize his product was worth the price. And for those who became frustrated at the time and effortinvolved indoing it themselves, he provided a custom made-to-order option.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

[I know you didn't mean any offense. AndI'm sure you're right, Brandon took someone else's idea, refined it, and started selling it. It's like changingthe oil in my car--there are a hundred tutorials online showing you how to do it yourself for free--but I'd rather go down to Pennzoil and have them change itfor a fee(because it's easier and more convenient). How is that any different?

I think there is a huge difference but at the risk of making myself look like a bigger butt I'm going to concede.

If you are DIY person, I can find the link the Lamodi ripped the idea for his from and for about $15-$20 trip to the Home Depot Garden Center and an hour or so of your time you could make your own.

Most definitely not a DIY person.I did think I would need to put something on the back of the other beauty dish around the light which didn't seem like it would be a big deal. I just didn't know if these two dishes would give close to the same results and if they did, might as was well spend less on one since I just ordered about 10 different photography related items in the last two days every $ matters.

Ilike the Lumodi, I think I will stick with it since I don't know what the other truly would be like other than what I saw on the link above.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Most definitely not a DIY person.I did think I would need to put something on the back of the other beauty dish around the light which didn't seem like it would be a big deal. I just didn't know if these two dishes would give close to the same results and if they did, might as was well spend less on one since I just ordered about 10 different photography related items in the last two days every $ matters.

Ilike the Lumodi, I think I will stick with it since I don't know what the other truly would be like other than what I saw on the link above.

Not for any comparison war type thing, but the Ephoto one has my fancy. I might pick it up and do the mods that I think will make it work better.

Blocking off the back with some white foam core and a Sto-Fen with some aluminum foil taped inside might do the trick.

If money weren't an issue I could do this with a Dynalite Beauty Dish and Speedring/Speedlite adapter. But that would cost almost $200.

Not for any comparison war type thing, but the Ephoto one has my fancy. I might pick it up and do the mods that I think will make it work better.

Maybe I should wait until you give me a full review with of it (with photos)before I make my purchase! []

Denise

My daughter is ordering the Lumodi for me as an early birthday gift...what a gal!! [G] []

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Maybe I should wait until you give me a full review with of it (with photos)before I make my purchase! [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

Denise

Hey Denise, I didn't see this before. It'll be while before I get around to my experiments. So I'm glad your getting the Lumodi and not waiting for me.

oooooooh Keith's hit the big 1000 post mark. That's quite a contribution mate. Good one!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30