Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm a student and I am so in over my head. HELP!

Re: I'm a student and I am so in over my head. HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by kljorgensen912
    Or do I save money and get a used XTi or XSi? Do I need something better the and the XT1i?

My thought is this: you're also looking at xti or xsi so it means you don't really need the video function.

To be honest I would buy an even older body. I was thinking more of the original 5D, second hand of course. The newer dslr's are more or less semi-automatic. Or at least they have the functions. To really understand photography and study it you really won't need functions like auto lighting optimizer and movie mode.

The newer cameras are all about these features, but ask around here and I think most people won't even use them (movie mode is a different story). To really understand photography and get original photos you might consider going back to basic. Of course the downside of this is less capability in low light etc, but it might challenge you to get better results by yourself instead of relying on your camera.

It's just an idea, but you might think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kljorgensen912
    I'm intending to buy a much better camera later on, but for now I just need a good one that won't let me down and can get me through college and my degree

At iso 100 I doubt that an "older"camera will let you down. And I think you better buy an expensive camera later on just like you say when you know what style you shoot and what needs you have.

Jan

@original poster:

It is not your equipment that will make the difference. It will be the person who operates it. Many many great and classic photographs that were made with equipment far inferior to what we would now call good,.. hang in museums. The greatest names in photography made those with cameras less good than todays technology.

So: I would not splash out on equipment. I would develop my own style, take tons of pictures and see where it takes me. I am a photography student myself and shot most of my early work with a Canon 400D. Without any problems. Technology is the last thing you should concern yourself with when you start out. You can do almost anything with any technology: it is WHAT you decide to shoot and HOW you decide to shoot it that will make the difference and shape you as a photographer.

<div>

This may be aLudditenon-sequitur, but have you considered a film camera? They are cheap (dream cameras for almost nothing). You are a student, so access to a darkroom and high quality scanner is probably a non-issue. You could probably afford a nicer lens with it.

I would be inclined to get an XSi over an XTi given the small price difference on the used markets. 40D bodies also show up at good used prices in my neck of the woods.
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Canon Rebel T1i - $600

Canon Rebel XSi - $430

Keep in mind the XSi is without a lens, and the T1i is with one. The kit lens isn't horrible. I think the bad rep the 18-55mm gets is from the older versions of the lens. While a nice constant lower aperture lens would be nice, this lens has decent image quality, image stabilization w/ auto mode 2 detection (panning). It's enough to get started with for daylight shooting, and adding a 50mm f/1.8 would provide a cheap way to experiment with low-light shooting, and using a prime.

One advantage of the T1i not mentioned yet is the higher resolution display. If you're doing portraits or macro work, live view with 10x magnification on the T1i is a great way to ensure your focus is where you want it.

Adorama has, in the past, had the T1i w/out lens for $500. I haven't seen that available for 4 months, while it's perpetually available with the kit lens. I just mention that because if you could find it without the kit lens, I think the $70 extra for the better display, higher resolution (15MP vs. 12), video, and lower noise is a decent deal.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

As you mentioned that you were wanting to get gear before signing up for classes, the best advice I can give would be to send out some emails to the photography professors (or even better, go visit them!)

They would be the best ones to let you know what equipment they prefer their students to use, as well as have killer recommendations for what they expect of new students.

You might go and find out that your entire department is full of Nikon fanatics, in which case dropping 1k into a Canon setup might not be the best learning curve you can set yourself up for. (I learned the hard way having already bought into Canon that the photography professor loves Nikons.. (aka I have to buy all my lenses, wheras if I had gone Nikon in the first place, I would have had the school's arsenal at my disposal)) I don't personally regret the decision, and love Canon, but those are the best things to find out about before your barking up the wrong tree with gear/uses.

Best of luck with your choice of career!

First, find out what your professor recommends or requires. Its not uncommon to start students out with film cameras, developing film and slides,so running out and just guessing what to buy might waste money. Our local schools each have their own requirements based on how the teacher plans to teach the subject.

If they start with film and later switch to digital, for example, buy a film camera body that has lenses which will later fit a digital camera. There are lots of excellent EOS film bodies, but some of them do not have all the manual settings you might need.

Ask the professor, he is the one who sets the requirements.

You've gotten a lot of great advice, so I'll try to refrain from making the same suggestions as above. I'm responding to your question because I knew next to nothing about digital SLR photography a year ago when I bought my first camera. I started with the Rebel XSI because I couldn't afford to spend more, not right away, and I couldn't justify buying more technology than I could use. Looking back, the Rebel XSI was a wise choice, if only because any limitations of that camera really pushed me to become better at focus, exposure, and composition, as well as in basic post-processing, and I have learned A LOT from that experience. Since the Rebel was relatively inexpensive, I was also able to invest in a few good lenses, which really made all the difference in the quality of my shots. The XSI's current kit lens is good--you'll see good reviews of it here on this site and elsewhere--so if you're hurting for money, you can start with the kit lens and take your time discovering which lenses you might later want to buy.

Two days ago I upgraded to a 5DII (CONGRATULATE ME EVERYBODY FOR BEING REALLY OVER MY HEAD NOW!), and of course I'm in hog heaven, though it's true: the purchase broke the bank. I'm glad I bought the camera, but I'm also glad I waited, because I *really* enjoyed the Rebel, and I'm very likely going to keep it for those times when I want a lighter camera with more reach. I think you might appreciate seeing a couple of photographs--comparison shots between the Rebel XSI and the 5DII--so that you won't be fooled into thinking that the XSI isn't a sufficient starter camera. I think you'll see that I haven't yet learned how to get the best out of the 5DII (or the Rebel for that matter), so don't judge the quality of the exposure--this is the maker's fault, not the camera's!

The first image is from the 5DII, and was taken with the Canon 16-35L. The second image was made with the Rebel XSI, and was taken with the Canon 24-70L. (They were taken on different days, so keep in mind the light was different, and that the 24-70 usually produces higher contrast, more saturated color, and sharper images than the 16-35.) I don't use Photoshop (don't know how--can't afford it!). I do use Canon's DPP for basic post-processing. You can click through to Flickr if you want to see the original image files for the Rebel. The 5DII's original image files are huge, so if you're also too poor to own a newish computer, you might keep in mind that your computer will thank you for the XSI's smaller files. I hope this helps!