Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 70-200 Mark II - I've Gone & Done It!

Re: 70-200 Mark II - I've Gone & Done It!

That does sound odd and suspicious. [] A couple of other possibilities:

Is there sufficient contrast in your subject? If a monochromatic leaf is larger than the AF point, it's like trying to focus on a blank wall - not enough contrast. The AF points do extend a bit beyond the boxes seen in the viewfinder, but they are smaller than the spot metering circle.

What AF mode are you in? If you're in AI-Servo, there is no focus lock confirmation beep/light. If you're in AI-Focus and you or the subject are moving (vine leaf in the wind would do it), the camera will use Servo mode and again there is no focus lock confirmation. But, if you're in One Shot it should lock as long as there is sufficient contrast under the AF point.

Hi neuro...

As for contrast - yes, plenty. As for the AF mode I tend to shoot in AI Focus 90% of the times, but I have tried the other modes to no avail. It's actually getting really frustrating as it's a coin toss if lock will be achieved.

As for the original lens, the IS would buzz intermittently but mostly after the camera has been in standby for a few moments. When the IS kicked in, you could feel a vibration through thebarrel as though the motors were grinding - I'm certain that this is not normal especially for a new lens with the latest gen IS - again this was intermittently but lock was achieved with no problems even at the MFD.

It'sdifficult to diagnose the actual problemas this lens is all over the map! Even at the MFD, this lens cannot lock on focus with plenty of light, it's akin to the *can't hit the side of a barn yard no matter how hard I try* line.

Let's see what Henry's has to say. I guess the worse case scenario is to try and ask for my original glass back and deal with the IS if it decides to jam up!
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

To make a long story short....

Called Henry's, asked for my lens back due to the current lens issues, offered3 choices...

1. Exchange for new lens - lack of confidence on my part

2. Exchange for the original

3. Refund

Took option 2 and the capabilities of said lens is night and day compared to the second unit. No focus hunting -aim, lock and shoot!

peety3 was right, I will just hang on to this lens until something really bad happens which I can live with...

Curious...could therepossibly bea QA issue with Canon with this new lens?!?!?

Thanks for the responses/suggestions....
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by elmo_2006
    Curious...could therepossibly bea QA issue with Canon with this new lens?!?!?

I believe all canon lenses have some degree of variability, and those who critically test them tend to get different results with different samples. So in a way the answer is yes, but particularly more so than with other canon lenses.

We are probably more critical of an expensive, high performing lens and thus notice a higher percentage of the issues (and we should be more critical after spending all that $$)