Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting my own business. Any tips on how to name it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Starting my own business. Any tips on how to name it?

That's not a bad idea Corey. I'm not much of a studio though. Everything I will do, will be wherever they want. Maybe I could play off of that?

I'll basically be a custom photographer. I'll take pictures of your favorite bug in your back yard. I really don't care what it is. Maybe I have something there?

Ah! Freelance photography essentially. Hmmm. Well if you lived in my neck of the woods I'd say "Around the Sound Photography" and come up with a logo of Mt Raineer or an outline/map of the Puget Sound... but that only works because I can find an "A" word that rhymes with 'sound'.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneSierra
    I shoot everything [H]

Well, I like shooting landscape myself, but it's not necessarily my favorite thing to do and I'm not so sure I'm all that good at it yet... []

One of the compliments I've received is that (when I put my mind to it) I tend to compose my shots very well. While I appriciate the compliment unfortuantely that is something that can often be done via simple cropping... I'd almost rather be good at exposure consideration or color balancing... (course those things often can be fixed on a computer these days too, it just takes more time than cropping).

My two cents: don't put your name in the business name. Several reasons: if you want to sell the business, the new owners will HAVE to change the name immediately, losing a lot of clients right away and thereby diminishing the sale price. If the business ends up in legal troubles and gets publicity, you don't want your name in the headlines (at least right away).

Choose a business name that your competition can't use against you as a commonplace phrase in conversation.

Choose a business name that doesn't tie/constrain you to photography. I see this a lot in firefighting: fill-in-the-blank fire department decides they want new t-shirts, and gets "FITB Fire Rescue" printed on them. Then FITB Fire Rescue gets lettered on the side of the trucks, etc. It all happens because someone wants to get recognition for something they do besides their name, so they end up with name (and mission) drift. If you ever decide to do framing and your business name says "Photography", you'll have to rename (messy) or simply not attract as much business because of a too-tight name. (Or if you're real good on the biz side, make multiple companies and play shell games with the books - did I say that?)

Random suggestion: I worked for a guy who did DJ work, theater, all sorts of light/sound/scenery stuff. He dealt with Light and Sound Systems, so he named the company Liss Productions. With a tagline of Light and Sound Systems beneath the company name, there's a visual reinforcement to make the name more memorable. (I happen to pick passwords by a similar scheme, though I toss in numbers in place of numeric-ish words and use the shift key to help randomize things.)
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Yeah, that is something to think about. I doubt my little side photography business would get into any major legal troubles leading to publicity haha, but it's still a thought. Selling in time is something to think of though.

I'm sitting down with someone with a degree in marketing this coming week....I really want to choose something wisely. Thanks for the thoughts.

Anyway, on a side note, I ordered two more lenses today! EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS and the EF-S 60 2.8 macro! Will be here friday!