Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Filter Question...Need some specific insight

Re: Filter Question...Need some specific insight

Thanks for taking the time to shoot the stuff that you did. This can also give me an idea if its really worth spending the extra money on a MC filter since I don't own both types of filters. Where I see most of my problems is when the camera will be on a tripod at about chest level looking into a room or a scene pretty much directly in front of a window with 3 to 6 lamps scattered around inside. The bed is usually in front of the window with a nice bedspread, comforter and a decorative end blanket which is most often brightly colored. The round flare happens right on the decorative end blanket on the inside of the bed where the shadow falls. Its a very high contrast scene where my L lens even struggles to get a constant level of contrast and color plus the general area can get washed out as well. Another time that I see the flaring is when there are bright lights, floods, directional lights in the ceilings and there is no way to avoid getting these lights at the angles where they don't enter the lens even with the hood on. Also the main light source is usually a large window maybe five feet tall by anywhere from 4 feet to 6 feet wide and it will be the only window so its usually bright light entering an otherwise dark room.

I looked at the last photos that were shot of the light in the ceiling and the MRC filter and the non filter shots look almost identical. The non MC filter does show more problematic areas and more haze. Am I seeing this right?

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots

I looked at the last photos that were shot of the light in the ceiling and the MRC filter and the non filter shots look almost identical. The non MC filter does show more problematic areas and more haze. Am I seeing this right?

That's my take. In my experience as well, B+W MRC vs. no filter doesn't look significantly different - that's why I pay $70-100 for each B+W UV filter. Also, it's not just the number of coatings - the quality of the coatings (and glass itself) makes a difference as well. A quick search on Amazon shows a "Zeikos 77mm Multi-Coated UV Filter" for $8 - I would bet that even a single-coated B+W filter would be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

That is what I am seeing too.

Regarding the MRC vs "no UV filter": At an angle, I actually think the picture is a bit better with the MRC filter (less haze at the top lip), but for all intents and purposes, they are the same. Going straight into the light thepicturesare alsovery similar. The differences may be due to a slight angle change (note the corner of the shelf and some of the patterns in the ceiling) due to my less than professional test. But with the MRC I notice afaint partialhalo just beneath the light and just slightly more "haze" to the top left of the light.

But getting back to your point, to me, the canon UV filter (no MC)really stands out as significantly worse while I'd consider the B+W MRC and the "no UV filter" pictures to essentially be the same.

Thanks for the help and responses. I appreciate it. Next is to buy one of these super expensive, mack daddy B + W pol filters and try it side by side to the other one. I

If you don

I thought about that but did not see at B&amp;H or Adorama if B+W makes a slim mount 82mm linear polarizer. I just looked where I did not see one. Shopping for filters at these online stores it kind of confusing. They have all these filters with many different prices where some say coated glass, some say multicoated glass, some say MRC coated glass and they all are Kaesemann. Then there is the thin glass and then there is the wide angle slim mount and then the regular mount. How do you know what you

Just looked at B&amp;H again and the offer a B+W 82mm Kaeseman Linear Polarizer Glass Filter (Extra Wide) for $244.00. Can

I wish I could be more help, but I can

if you don