Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is wrong with these pictures

One shot for accuracy of focus on non moving objects. AI Servo for moving objects.

Of the shots you posted I do not see any that the initial shot using one shot wouldn't have taken. Of course walking out of the focus area in a burst those would be lost.

The thing that does jump out at me in the pictures is the point of focus. It should be the eye of the animal. Use a single point even in AI Servo, stay on the eye. The way I judge if a shot is sharp or not is the detail in the eyes and eyelash.

Peety: I was unconsciously putting the camera on f2.8. I only shoot in Av or M, usually Av 95% of the time. That way, I only have to change ISO or shutter. In Av mode, the shutter wheel is right by the shutter release. Very annoying how it is swapped with speed when in M mode btw. It is easier to reach the aperture than the ISO, as ISO takes a button press (tiny button) and then wheel, then soft tap on the trigger (shutter release) to end ISO setting mode. So that is how it finds its way to f2.8 so easily.

Regarding 1 shot focus: I guess I should make each animal a special occasion, rather than strolling about the zoo casually snapping pics over my shoulder (not even bothering to look in the viewfinder) while chit-chatting, sipping wine and nibbling on cheese in my nonchalant zoo visiting manner as I remain oblivious to the numerous obstacles of wire fencing, 3" Plexiglas and strollers that occur, at random, every 10 feet or so.

I think I had 1 shot focus set, when I was shooting a vulture. Using the center sensor point for focus, I set focus on aforementioned vultures eye, then composed the shot. The vulture was sitting still. I can't use AI Servo to do that.

So, now, you are saying I can remap my AF-ON button to work as AF-OFF? I honestly never understood that particular button. I think it is time for me to map some buttons and review the manual again. I am constantly using the manual AF/MF control on the lens and it is not particularly ergonomic.

I don't know the statistics, but I feel like using a 5pt or 9pt grid with AI Servo is going to be better than 1 focus point.

Today I climbed Mt. Takao (its only a little mountain, Fuji was much more fun) and met several other photographers (im trying to ignore the pain this has caused right now). 2 of us descended together and I was trying to explain photons and light energy when he asked me why I knew this. I explained my training in physics and he asked if he needed to study physics to be a good photographer. I wasn't really sure but I told him no, when in fact, studying physics will certainly help to be a good photographer. Especially if one understands the behavior of the photon. The amazing thing is that his camera had a swivel display, the Canon Xsi or something. It was a touch screen monitor. **Why doesn't my 5D mk3 have touch screen monitor????** He has 5 menus with 4 options in each. The 5D has about 100 options, so why doesn't it have the touch screen monitor?

As we were descending late, it became dark. So I took his camera, then asked for his iPhone (which we were using for a flashlight) and I believe he was a little bit nervous I was taking all his electronics! So I put the camera on 8 seconds shutter, ISO100 and f4.5. I stood 6 feet away and drew a Japanese kanji character 金 with the iPhones LED light. When the shutter closed, the kanji appeared on the monitor. This was to emphasize my point that the sensor is the canvas that the photographer must create his art on and that it is done with light (photon energy) as opposed to paint. Less control of light, flashes, strobes, reflectors, gives emphasis on composition and other ways to control the end result.

If you can make sense of everything I've written I appreciate input. I will be going to the Zoo again next week with a friend so I will certainly take the camera along and try for some good shots again. A lot of it has to do if the talent wants to show themselves, otherwise they are hard to get good shots of. With many of them it is nigh impossible due to the fences and Plexiglas.

Ill research remapping buttons before I complain about Canons choice of layout, but I do find it less ergonomic than it could be. Somebody needs to get a good dev, hook up a Zigview to Oculus Rift or gut a dslr and route the video signal to Oculus Rift but that would only be good for live view. I think this is a good idea.