Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM

Re: 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM

both of those comments are totally irrelevant to what I asked. I wanted people to tell me what they thought about the lens not the conversions and not if they thought another lens was better for me. Honestly unless you have a link to a good review or have actual experience with this lens you have no reason to post on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.s.Maneri
    both of those comments are totally irrelevant to what I asked.

We are trying to help you.

I wanted people to tell me what they thought about the lens not the conversions and not if they thought another lens was better for me. Honestly unless you have a link to a good review or have actual experience with this lens you have no reason to post on this.

Matt, focal length conversion factors play a big role in a lens' versitality. The difference between 12mm on full frame and 12mm on a 1.6x FOVCF body is very significant, and the different perspectives achieved by using different bodies will directly influence the lens' functionality for your style of shooting.

I didn't ask if this will work good for me. I am capable of making decisions like that on my own. I asked for solid feedback on what people thought about this lens. Example is it sharp, is CA bad/good, is Vignetting bad/good stuff like that. If I said hey guys do you think a 12-24mm will work good for shooting landscapes? then maybe but the simple fact is that focal length has no effect on what I asked and even if It did 12mm is the widest non fish eye you can get for canon so unless I asked will this lens be good for shooting birds or sports camera body factor's in 0% to my question

12mm is the widest non fish eye you can get for canon

Unless you are using a crop body, in which case there are some 10 and 11mm choices. Hence the questions. You have few posts, you're new here. We don't yet know what body you shoot with, your experience level, knowledge of lenses, etc.

The previous posters are just trying to help. Canon's 10-22 might be sharper on a crop camera than the 12-24mm is, I don't know. It's possible, just as some people find the 17-55mm sharper than the 24mm zoom L lenses which are designed for full-frame. So in a sense, the body and crop factor are extremely important in lens choice, when a better crop-only alternative exists.

If you want to make the decision on your own, that's fine, but there's no need to jump all over people attempting to go out of their way to help your further. They're looking for a potentially better choice, depending on your needs. There are polite ways to say "I know what I'm doing, just the facts, please." Even more polite would be to express that you're experienced, AND accept the help being offered. You never know, someone might know something you don't.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston

Canon's 10-22 might be sharper on a crop camera than the 12-24mm is, I don't know.

Told you.

Wow. I've read a ton of threads in these forums, and I'm consistently
    impressed by the lengths contributors will go to in order to be helpful
    and courteous (this thread is a shining example). The OP's tone in this thread is such a stunning contradiction to these standards (and even still, people are trying to continue to help!). Open dialogue and exploration of photography is what makes these forums so enjoyable and useful as a learning tool. We are all ignorant, each of us, and that is why we come to places like this to share what we do know and learn what we don't from those around us. Heaven forbid we try to help somebody out. To that end, may I 'suggest' this link as a good place for reviews of the lens you're interested in if the members here aren't cutting the mustard.

WOW!

Edited...I think I may have been ignorant with the previous reply of mine, hence the edit.

I'm afraid you just need to be a little more cosiderate of others, as there are plenty of posters herethat may take offence to the 'tone' used.

[:^)]
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

I am not asking for lens suggestions. I dont understand what is so hard to grasp about this. I am asking for reviews and input on ONE lens not on personal opinion on a series of lenses. I am very strait forward so I am sorry if I offended anyone, but I get plenty of email's without irrelevant posts with people just trying to spark conversation about stuff I did not ask for.

The problem with your question is that the optical performance of a lens is not uniform across the entire image circle, and consequently, the size of the format has an effect on what potential aberrations you will see. This is why the question of camera body is relevant.

Especially for an ultra-wide angle lens, corner performance is often significantly poorer than the center performance, as is vignetting. However, these issues become less noticeable on a smaller sensor because those aberrations simply fall outside of the sensor's field of view. This is why you cannot simply ask "is it good," because some people won't even see parts of the image circle that the lens is designed to project. Furthermore, the resolution of the sensor itself plays a role in how easily certain aberrations will be apparent, but this is not as significant an issue as the sensor size itself.

Check out the following link...

http://pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=10146

At the bottom, you will find multiple reviews on said lens, you may also simply click on any of the images and from there may find the information or opinions that apparently may be lacking to your initial query.

Cheers.
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams