Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pinwheel Galaxy (m33)

Re: Pinwheel Galaxy (m33)

Nice shot! I need to try to get a shot like that sometime... :-)

if you don't mind me asking, roughly how much did all the equipment required to take this shot cost? i have access to a high-powered telescope with a computer tracking system on it through school, are there converters to mount your camera to telescopes? excellent picture by the way!

I don't mind you asking

The equipment is expensive. The mount is an astro physics mach 1 GTO, about $7000 with tripod. The telescope, also astro-physics, is a 130 Gran Turismo, and cost about $6000. And you know how much the 5DII cost.

To attach the camera to the telescope requires an adapter. Here is a picture, though it is a different telescope. The adapter is not expensive, and makes your camera think the telescope is a manual focus lens

Just curious, what kind of telescope is the "high powered" one?

to be honest i'm not sure. i know its $5k worth of glass then another $5k in the computer that operates it, made by M eade if that means anything. it's a permanent set up, definitely not portable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger

Very cool!

Kind of makes you realize just how small we really are in the big scheme of things..
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Especially considering that the light from that particular galaxy had to travel several million years just to get here. Awesome!