Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prime or Zoom?

Re: Prime or Zoom?

I'd rather have both.

But, i'd go for zoom first (at least for the middle to mildly telephoto range), and then maybe compliment that with a prime or two.

I would say that you can't argue with the image quality of a prime, and I guess you can't, however you can't argue with the versatility and speed (of 'changing' the lens) of a zoom. If you take pictures of things that won't hold a pose while you change lenses, or try to back up (assuming you have the space), you're just going to miss pictures, period.

If i'm carrying a prime in a candid situation, I prefer it in the 35-50mm range (on full frame), though unless it's a low light scenario, a zoom usually serves me better.

So, I guess I'm on the "depends on your situation" bandwagon.

I'd say the answer is, unfortunately, dependent on how many cameras you have, and perhaps what resolution those cameras are. More cameras = more primes ready to go. Higher resolution cameras offer more crop-ability, so your focal length intervals can be wider.

For now, I've been extremely happy with the 16-35/2.8, 50/1.8, and the 85/1.2 OR the 70-200/2.8IS, and two bodies. On leaner events (like a game of dominoes the other night), 16-35 and 85/1.2 and one body was an awesome combo.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

On leaner events (like a game of dominoes the other night), 16-35 and 85/1.2 and one body was an awesome combo.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I'd like to see a few from that!