Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon FF/APS-H/C vs medium-format cameras for photos

Re: Canon FF/APS-H/C vs medium-format cameras for photos

Well I see you're in love with the 85 L, as am I. I've rented it a few times with my 7D and always had amazing results. I'm curious, I know it's not longer on a FF, but is the DOF nicer?

Also, I don't plan to get rid of my 7D, UNLESS it's for a 1DsMKIII or something. Otherwise, ideally, I'd have my 7D and a 5DMkII. That's my goal! It's very hard to sell equipment here in France though

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    but is the DOF nicer?

If by "nicer" you mean, super anorexic thin, then yes. []

Really, though, all you DOF freaks just need to get an MP-E 65. Narrowest DOF of any canon lens. (Actually I'd be hard pressed to think of any camrea / lens combination in the Universe that has a narrower DOF)

I don't really want any sort of INSANE DOF, but really the detail is another thing... and the dynamic-range. Really turns me on haha!

Ugh... I just need to get a FF camera because noise is the biggest problem right now... well... that and learn to use lighting better.

Well I see you're in love with the 85 L, as am I. I've rented it a few times with my 7D and always had amazing results. I'm curious, I know it's not longer on a FF, but is the DOF nicer?

Yes! I am definitely in love with the 85 L. The portrait shots I have taken with it remind me of MF shots. My new favorite thing is shooting wide apertures with strobes. I love the dreaminess of it. When shooting at smaller f/stops the detail is amazing. IMO it truly rivals MF shots I've seen.

The DOF is very shallow. At the 3' mfd and f/1.2 you can completely lose the subjects nose when the eyes are in focus.

Hmm... well, though I've used the 85 1.2 numerous times, it's always been on 1.6x bodies... I'll have to try it on a FF and see how I like it!

Your shots with the 85L I saw on another post didn't load... were the links dead?

Hmm... well, though I've used the 85 1.2 numerous times, it's always been on 1.6x bodies... I'll have to try it on a FF and see how I like it!

Your shots with the 85L I saw on another post didn't load... were the links dead?

Some of them were of clients so I only put them up for a short time. I don't want to upset anyone that is helping pay my bills.

Here is one I shot of a friend who had a mohawk for the first time in his life and wanted to commemorate it. It is gone now.

I shot this at 1.4 to get a little more DOF.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_1059alt2xs.jpg[/img]

Wow, that's a really nice portrait! He's quite happy with it, I'm sure!

Thanks for showing me an example! Really, I just need to control light much better. I think that's my number one problem.

Wow, that's a really nice portrait! He's quite happy with it, I'm sure!

Thanks for showing me an example! Really, I just need to control light much better. I think that's my number one problem.

Thanks Jordan!

I've used the 85 1.2 on my 7D for some events. The DOF is easier to control since you'll have to back up some to get similar crop as FF.