I currently own a 5dII and 24-70L. (plus a 50 1.8 and 80-200 f/4.5-5.6 that I "inherited" from my parents who don't understand SLR's)

<meta charset="utf-8" />
I am starting to get more portraiture gigs this fall, so I am looking for a great portraiture lens that will make my work stand out even more. Ideally I'd buy both the 85L and the 70-200 2.8ii, but considering their pricetags, I'll have to make due with only one for a while.

I like the isolation that 2.8 gives against the background, but the 24-70 isn't quite tack sharp wide open. Also, getting head shots can be slightly intrusive into the subject's space with such a short lens on a FF.

So really, my two main criteria are stellar bokeh (both quality andquantityfor great subject isolation) and something to fill the gap in my longer focal range. It seems to me that the first criteria leans toward the 85L, but the second toward the 70-200.

I'd imagine that the 85L's fixed focal length wouldn't be too much of a problem when shooting portraits because I'm pretty much in control of the situation and can pose, etc. That'd be less the case for weddings next summer, so the 70-200 would better for that.

That said, I don't currently have any weddings lined up for next summer (here's to hoping!), but I'd imagine theversatilityfor the 70-200 would be much better for weddings, so I'd like to be prepared for that. On the other had, having the 85L could really make my work stand out and catch people's eye and get me some more gigs (wedding or not) which would speed up saving for the other.

I think I just convinced myself to get the 85L now and save for the 70-200 2.8ii for next summer (might even be able to get it used by then).

Please, any thoughts or real world experience with these lenses would be a great help, as I'm obviously lost in the maze of my own thoughts here.