Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Depth of Field

Re: Depth of Field

I was really looking for some type of quick rule of thumb formula

<table border="0" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"]
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td width="4%" valign="top"]<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]1.</td>
    <td width="96%"]<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]Larger F-numbers give greater depth of field. . </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td width="4%" valign="top"]<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]2.</td>
    <td width="96%"]<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]Shorter focal lengths give greater depth of field. </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td width="4%" valign="top"]<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]3.</td>
    <td width="96%"]

<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]Greater subject distance gives greater depth of field.

<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td width="4%" valign="top"]<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]4.</td>
    <td width="96%"]

<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]Depth of field is greater behind the subject than in front

<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]eg. 50mm f/4 25 feet depth of field = 12 ft (standard)

<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"] 50mm f/8 25 feet depth of field =29 feet(2x f stop)

<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"] 25mm f/4 25 feet depth of field = 314 feet (1/2 focal lenght)

<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"] 50 mm f/4 50 feet depth of field =58 feet (2x distance)

<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]If we look at the factors thatchangefocal lenght it appears that the F stop has the greatest affect

<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]I was looking for something like:

<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]double the F stop squares the distance (approx) 12 squared = 144

<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]do we have a calculus expert out there?

</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

Sorry I should have stated that the focal lenght of the lens appears to have the largest affect on the depth of field, followed by the F stop

Surely there is a quick rule of thumb here.

Wikipedia has some formulas, but they do not condense well to rules of thumb. That is probably why people carry tables with depth of field on them. I printed out 4 tables on 2 notecards with common focal lengths. My idea is to reference these, or study them while shooting in non-pressure situations until I just get more familiar with what focal length/aperture/subject distance give what kind of depth of field. I haven't spent much time on it and it will probably be difficult and take many years. I would think if someone like a wedding photographer who primarily shot with a 35mm and 85mm lens or something like that, might be able to almost memorize the depth of field characteristics for those two lenses, but for zooms.....?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field

Your best bet for quickies is to commit a few common conditions to memory. As in: "My 50mm at Xpaces at f/x.x provides Xfeet of in focus area, and Xfeet at x+2 paces", for each of your lenses. Once you know those you can wiggle around each memorized point with a few degrees of freedom.

Maybe one day each camera will have a little range-finder and an in-viewfinder display of present DOF size.