Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CF memory card dilemma...please help

Re: CF memory card dilemma...please help

Quote Originally Posted by sakeroni

Like yourself, i too, shoot everything in the largest file type but only in Raw on my 40D. Each picture should average about 12MB, roughly about 70 shots per GB.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Just what I'd do, but I'd say get yourself a couple 8GB cards. Maybe one of the two with faster memory rate... like a SanDisk Extreme III and a IV. Probably run you in the area of $150-$175 total, you'll have two cards in care of failure and one of them can be used for a higher number of consecutive shots and you have an overall capacity of more than 1000 shots.

I would look into this:

http://www.hyperdrive.com/HyperDrive-COLORSPACE-UDMA-s/64.htm

pop the card in and it will quickly transfer all the pictures and even make thumnails and previews of raw files. You can save money by buying just the casing and then search for a 2.5 inch drive on newegg.com

Not to be overly critical, but those are way overpriced for what they are. You could get a netbook for that price and have an entire operating system, not to mention a larger screen.

Is it me or do retailers/manufacturers tend to set prices high for photography-related equipment? It's as if they think photographers are willing to pay a premium for basic technology. I mean, a gimbal head should not cost $600. It's basically a piece of metal tubing and a bracket. The cost of materials and manufacture are probably less than $100. Same thing goes for electronics.

[^o)]

I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed today.

When traveling, at least for me, a netbook is too big to carry around. If you are on a roadtrip then maybe. There are other options such as using an older ipod and a camera adapter but the transfer rate is horrendous (13 seconds per picture) and if you don't already have one they can be hard to find not to mention that it drains the battery after importing 300 photos.

Well maybe if Daniel Browning is so dead set again SRAW1, maybe I should rethink this idea, but at 1:1 on the screen or in a 8.5x11 print I can not see any of the things he talking about. Is he more picky, more observerent ? LIGHT BULB Moment. What if I zoom in even further, all the way that the slider goes. YES there is very big difference between RAW and SRAW1. I learned something today, thank you DB.