Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 7D and Lens/Flash Rebates March 7th - April 3rd

Re: Canon 7D and Lens/Flash Rebates March 7th - April 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

Let the kvetching stop....I've been on the fence about upgrading to the 7D and this ad mademy decision easier.

I rented the 7D acouple of weeks ago for 2 reasons; to test it's AF (compared to the 40D)at a college hockey game in a bad light situation andin the songbird environment in my backyard....it puts the 40D to shame.

I rec'd an email yesterday from the Ad Group I was shooting the hockey gamefor and the opening word was "WOW".

Secondly I wanted to see ifthe 7D's ability in low lightwould help the 100-400....it did....quite a bit.

The 1 downside....I have to buy more memory, the 8 gig cards filled up at 300RAWpix....I think I can live w/this. LOL

After reading this thread, it looks like they're may bea few more 40D's on E-Bay.

Thanks Bill!

That is the final nail in the coffin for my 40D. I can live with the file size. I've gotten use to the 250 raws I get on an 8g card from the 5DII.

I'm getting a 7D, but I'm not planning to get rid of my 40D any time soon. For the past 2.5 years of using the 40D I have never been dissapointed with its AF performance. Of course the 40D's AI Servo AF is not perfect, but notthing is. I really think the 40D's AF is very good for the money. The next step up in AF performance is in the 1D series cameras and those cameras cost at least 3 times the 40D. Don't get me wrong you guys, I love new gears as much as anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

Of course the 40D's AI Servo AF is not perfect, but notthing is. I really think the 40D's AF is very good for the money.

I agree, the 40D is great for the money, but as my livelihood is starting to depend on AF performance and Servo specifically, I need something better. I hope the 7D will get me there because I'm not making the kind of bucks to justify 1D4 yet.

Nate and Keith....a caveat to my "it puts the 40D to shame" statement."

Most of my bird shooting consists of songbirds and small raptors; the places I find these birdsare full of branches, limbs,etc....lots of distractions for the 40D AF to spend time trying to focus on my subject.

The 7D, in most cases focused on the firstattempt and at worst the 2nd attempt compared to 3 to 5 attempts w/the 40D. I missed quite a few shots because of the 40D's inability to nail it on the 1rst or 2nd attempt.

And please don't misinterpret my statement as a total put down of the 40D, it's been great, it's just the 7D's AFis a big improvement especially in a low light situations w/my 100-400.

Unfortunately I can't speak concerning the AI Servo and BIFs....I only had 2 good weather days to hunt for BIFs (specifically Eagles)and I didn't have any success. But it worked well during the hockey game I photographed w/a 70-200 IS 2.8.

BTW....my unscientific findings are based on using my 100-400 on both bodies in low light situations.

Nate....I think you'll find the 40D sitting in your bag the great majority of the time after using the 7D.

Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W
    Nate....I think you'll find the 40D sitting in your bag the great majority of the time after using the 7D

That's true, but I won't retire the 40D just yet. It will be mounted with my 400 f/5.6L and sits beside me when I'm driving and mounted on the 70-200 f/2.8L IS when I'm hiking.