Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirrorless

The IQ of those photos is impressive.
    I will have to go do my homework.
    I assume it will accept most of my canon lenses.
    Any comment on AF speed, Shutter noise, and write speed?

AF speed: In normal light, even low light, I'd say I typically get lock in 0.5 to 1 seconds. I do have the AF beam enabled, so in very low light or low contrast, it may take longer without the beam. I have found it to be much faster than live view, so if that is what you are thinking it is much faster.

Shutter noise: There is a beeping sound when you have AF lock that can be disabled. There is a clicking sound each time you take a shot. It is pretty quiet.

Write speed: It is going to an SD card. I just did a test and only got 4-5 RAW shots before it slowed. But it never really slowed shooting large JPG shots.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 03-03-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Kayaker, Sean, and Others

How much post processing did you do on those photos.
    Are you shooting in RAW
    Did you consider or research any other mirrorless products?
    What lenses have you used with the M.
    Have you used a pancake style to keep the profile small?(part of the purpose of going mirrorless)
    Sean you state you use the 22mm, how is the IQ and how is the AF speed. Are you getting 0.5-1 sec that Kayaker reports?
    Do you find that AF speed limiting?
    Last edited by iND; 03-03-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    Sean you state you use the 22mm, how is the IQ and how is the AF speed. Are you getting 0.5-1 sec that Kayaker reports?
    Do you find that AF speed limiting?
    I have a third party EF-M to EF adapter (which works just fine), but I typically only use the 22mm STM (and the 90EX flash every so often). Image quality using the 22mm lens is quite good. I couldn't tell you how fast the AF is exactly, but it's more than fast enough for my purposes. The firmware update where Canon increased the AF speed helped tremendously, from what I hear (but mine came with the new firmware pre-installed). And no, I don't find the AF limiting.

I shoot RAW, DxO has profiles for the EF-M lenses. I shoot mainly with the 22mm f/2 pancake. A big part of my reason for getting the EOS M was for use as a backup camera for travel.

I shoot RAW. LR also has the conversions for the EF-M lenses. I own both the 22 mm f/2 pancake and the EF-M 18-55. I tend to shoot with the EF-M 18-55 more than the 22 mm pancake, when I do use the M. It is still a very small camera even with the EF-M 18-55 mounted. A bit more awkward than with the 22 mm. But the IQ with both lenses is very impressive.

I've looked at other mirrorless systems. There are two primary reasons I went with the M over other systems:
    1. Price. I missed the $299 deal, but got a deal for $400 kit including the M, EF-M 18-55 and EX 90 flash. Other systems I looked at (Oly/Fuji) were about twice as expensive, or more.
    2. EF Adapter. I am not so concerned about actually using my EF lenses with the M on a regular basis, that would negate its size benefit and really the two lenses are very nice. This is more that the EOS-M can serve as a back up camera while traveling. That is huge for me and is the concept that put me over the edge for buying the M.

There are so many different systems out there right now. I bet most of us have considered the Sony a7R with an EF adapter (Metabones etc). But you are looking at $2,750 and I am not to the point where that is the best place to spend my money. Not sure it ever will be, actually. But it is fun to think about.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 03-03-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I shoot RAW. LR also has the conversions for the EF-M lenses. I own both the 22 mm f/2 pancake and the EF-M 18-55. I tend to shoot with the EF-M 18-55 more than the 22 mm pancake, when I do use the M. It is still a very small camera even with the EF-M 18-55 mounted. A bit more awkward than with the 22 mm. But the IQ with both lenses is very impressive.

I've looked at other mirrorless systems. There are two primary reasons I went with the M over other systems:
    1. Price. I missed the $299 deal, but got a deal for $400 kit including the M, EF-M 18-55 and EX 90 flash. Other systems I looked at (Oly/Fuji) were about twice as expensive, or more.
    2. EF Adapter. I am not so concerned about actually using my EF lenses with the M on a regular basis, that would negate its size benefit and really the two lenses are very nice. This is more that the EOS-M can serve as a back up camera while traveling. That is huge for me and is the concept that put me over the edge for buying the M.
    Same reason I went with the M. However, I wasn't going to spend much on mine since I was basically going to use it as a stay in the car camera and vacation camera. I purchased mine in the kit with the kit zoom. Now I use the thing all of the time where I am not going to be tracking moving objects. The new firmware they came out with made the focus much faster if you are using it in one shot mode. I don't even attempt anything other than that. I still shoot my movies manual zooming because I can't stand the implementation of the auto focus during movie mode. Now if they somehow do release the M2 in the US and it has dual pixel whatever, then I wouldn't hesitate. I don't have the pancake, but use it with my EF 35mm f/2 (old one) all the time. I use a 3rd party adapter from fotodiox and have basically used every lens I own with that thing. I went with the fotodiox because it was the cheapest of the bunch and I wasn't sure I was going to keep the camera. I don't regret either decision.

I shoot in RAW also and use LR5 for my conversions. I didn't upgrade to CS6 or the cloud so I have to make everything into another format if I intend to do any work on them in photoshop which is a pain. I strapped a couple of TC with the adapter to a 300mm f/4L IS for this. Looks pretty good.

on used the kit zoom on a roller coaster ride for this shot.

I mainly use it for pictures of my family and kids so I don't post much that I do with it. Overall I really like my M and wouldn't give it up (unless someone gave me the M2).

Jayson

How much post did you do with the coaster photo?
    Was that with a 22mm
    If the M has a pano capability, have you used it?

Thanks

I am generally a minimalist in my post processing. I did some shadow and highlight stuff in LR5, but tried the trial for NIK software and did their sunlight filter which gave it the orange glow on the coasters. I liked it so I kept it as is. I shot the photo with the kit zoom at 18mm (I haven't purchased the 22mm yet). I can't see the metadata since I have moved it to the external drive and my jpegs only get the copyright and contact, but I believe it was around ISO 400 at f5.6 or f/8. I tried to HDR it at first but moving on the coaster track didn't make that workout. The M doesn't have any fancy stuff like in camera HDR or pano capability. It basically is like the t4i, I believe, with it's features. You have to use it like the older cameras. Take 5 to 10 photos and stitch in post. We had a thread with shots from the M here. I know there is one of FM also I have participated in. It is a little longer.

It's a great little image making machine for not much money.

I like my EOS-M, but this new FujiFilm X-T1 looks ready to set the mirrorless market on its ear. Gotta like built-in focus peaking. I love the top dials for control and this is the only camera on the market that can make use of the new UHS-II SD cards that can write at 250Mb/s. It says this will shoot at 8fps continuously. I wonder if that's RAW or JPEG.

I'm looking forward to some reviews on this one.
    Mark - Flickr