Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 35mm f/1.4L vs. 70-200mm f/4L IS

Re: 35mm f/1.4L vs. 70-200mm f/4L IS

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun

<span style="font-size: 11.8056px;"]I'm going to purchase one of the two lenses for my 7D (and 40D), but cannot decide. I know they're not even the same ballpark of lenses and what's it going to be primarily use for, etc. If I have to answer that question, it'll probably be portraiture of my 5-mo old. The next question is indoors or out?

I get all that and I don't really want to compare the lenses based solely on functionality. Rather, I'm looking at it more for the FUN factor. I already have the 50mm f/1.4, which will probably never get used again if I get the 35mm f/1.4L. I hear the IQ is night and day. Then, there's the opinion that the 35mm f/1.4L doesn't look as sharp on higher pixel density cameras.

What's more fun then taking pictures of your 5 month old baby? For that reason I would go with the 35mm f/1.4L. I just think there will be a lot more opportunities to get great low-light indoor shots of your kid with the 35mm f/1.4L. It will be a nice 56mm focal length on both of your crop body cameras, therefore it shouldn't distort facial features. It will be great for taking pictures above the crib, on the bed, on the floor, birthday parties, holidays, family members holding the baby, and so on. Just make sure you know how to set the Custom White Balance for low-light indoor ambient lighting.

Rich

On a crop 35 1.4 with it's 56mm equivalent is probably pretty good call. As kids get older they move quickly and the extra light gathering and higher shutter speeds will be handy. On a full frame 35 is kind of wide and gets you to close to randomly moving child.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

What's more fun then taking pictures of your 5 month old baby? For that reason I would go with the 35mm f/1.4L.

The baby won't remain an infant for long. While the 35L might be perfect right now (I'd sure like one), before you know it, that baby will be running and playing outdoors and will either (1) refuse to look at the camera or (2) make ridiculous faces or smiles at the camera. At that point the 35L will be less "fun" to use with the kids. That's where the 70-200 comes in handy.

Thanks for the different points of view. I guess I should qualify - I will eventually get the 70-200 f/4L IS, maybe another 6 months. I am really leaning towards the 35mm at this point. I almost feel like if I don't get it now, I probably won't get it. And the sample shots I've seen from it just look incredible.

Jan, I also have the following zooms: 10-22, 17-40, 24-105, and 100-400. Plus, the 100mm macro non-L. So, yes I do have the 35mm focal length covered, but have heard so much about its awesome IQ (contract, color, and bokeh).

Tom, would the distortion still play a role in my crop body?

I guess I should qualify - I will eventually get the 70-200 f/4L IS, maybe another 6 months. I am really leaning towards the 35mm at this point. I almost feel like if I don't get it now, I probably won't get it. And the sample shots I've seen from it just look incredible.

Jan, I also have the following zooms: 10-22, 17-40, 24-105, and 100-400. Plus, the 100mm macro non-L. So, yes I do have the 35mm focal length covered, but have heard so much about its awesome IQ (contract, color, and bokeh).

Maybe next time your first post should include this kind of relevant information. If you are going to buy the 70-200 anyway, then I don't understand why you were looking for other people's opinions.

For what it's worth, unless you are making the jump to full frame any time soon, I'd sell the 17-40. With your lens arsenal, the only gap that lens fills is the 23mm focal length. I suspect you can do without 23mm. []

Hey, 6 months (or so ) is still a long time! [] I do like JJ's idea of getting the 35 and maybe replacing the 50 1.4 with an 85 1.8.

An FF is in the future as well, but that's even farther down the line.

Funny - I replaced my 50 f/1.4 with the 85 f/1.8 a few weeks ago. It was a great decision given I shoot with a 7D. The 50 was too long for lots of indoor shots anyway, so I didn't lose much there. And the 85 is so sweet. Sharp wide open and scary sharp stopped down. Great bokeh too. I think the 85 f/1.8 is the best lens dollar for dollar.

Crop body should be ok. Just something to keep in mind when using a wide lens for close

up facial work. 35 isn't that wide anyway. Sounds like you are heading for it now and the 70-200

later. Not a bad way to go with kids IMO.

Tom

<div>

Thanks Tom, I was waiting for this information.

The 35mmL does sound more logical now. Since you also mention that you will buy the 70-200 in about 6 months (when you're baby starts to crawl/walk) you need to have something until then. A 35mm will be great for shots right now, since you're probably bound to indoor shots a lot of the times and a wider aperture will help out great for that.

So you're own idea of buying the 35mm now and buy the 70-200 later sounds pretty good to me.

Just put one of your lenses on 35mm (the 24-105 will do) and see if you like the focal length for shooting photos. If you're convinced, go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wertman

Crop body should be ok. Just something to keep in mind when using a wide lens for close

up facial work. 35 isn't that wide anyway

The barrel distortion of the 35mmL on a crop-body is only -0.486% so it is visible, although it's close to nothing compared to other lenses. Also the 35mm on a crop is equal to 57mm on a full frame camera which was exactly the standard lens for full frame camera's in the days, since it has a natural field of view. So distortion is absolutely nothing you should worry about.

Have fun with your new lens []

Jan
    </div>

Thanks for the input, all! The 35L should be here by Friday! []