Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebel XTi Lense Overkill?

Re: Rebel XTi Lense Overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL
    Would this be overkill for this camera?

There is no such thing.

I just looked at the June edition of "What Digital Camera". The winner of 2009 International Garden Photographer of The Year shot with EOS D60, not the prototype of the next mid range body, but the 6MP 60D from (I think) 7 years ago. The winning picture just knocks your socks off...

I think70-200 2.8 IS is a great investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

I shot with an XT and 70-200 f/2.8L IS for 1.5 years. Always invest in glass, camera bodies come and go. I've once seen a lady with an XTi and 500 f/4 L IS
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

+1 on this

just make sure you always hold the lens, you'll damage the lens mount otherwise...

The lens will be in my hands on Friday and I'll be shooting up a storm over the weekend! Thanks again for all the info &amp; help.

Wow that fast! I wish I could get one soon too

Congrats!

Post some shots when you do

Decent glass is always the best option!

Glass you can keep, body's can be upgraded.

(I know you've already purchased and are expecting toys tomorrow.)

Great glass can breathe new life into an otherwise lesser body. With a 1D Mark III, 40D, Rebel XTi, and Powershot G9 in the house, most people can figure out which cameras are used first. A month ago, with my 1D3 in the shop (twice), I borrowed my friend's 85/1.2 for a trip to Philly. Three social events (one club, one bowling alley, one jazz club) were a blast to shoot with a 40D&amp;16-35/2.8 and an XTi&amp;85/1.2. The 85L feels real funny on the XTi, but who cares?
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Personally, I don't think it's overkill. The lens makes the camera IMO. You have a kit lens 18-55, it's not going to take as good of a picture as the 17-55 2.8, whether it's on the lowest model Rebel, or the 50D. If he want's that range, with that quality, and doesn't mind the price tag, I'd say go for it. That's going to be my next lens.

Sure, the glass will be three times the price of the camera, but that camera will get a better picture with that lens, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL

Anybody have an opinion regarding the purchase ofa EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM for a Rebel Xti. Would this be overkill for this camera? Or....Do you think I would be better served to spend the $ on a new upgraded body and lens?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I run the EF70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM on the front of my XTi all the time. It's a great body and a great lens. I like to put the EF400mm F/2.8 L IS USM on the XTi as well. The 1.6 crop factor makes the 400mm into a 640mm beast.