Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Split focus screens for 5D mark II?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Another example from the Katzeye in the T1i. This was taken with my new Rokinon 85mm f1.4. This lens has a long, smooth focus throw and is super easy to nail focus wide open. Serious bang for the buck at $277.

Mark - Flickr

I got the OptiBrite on my Katzeye for my 7D (but then, i can't compare to a non-Optibrite screen).
    with the 70-300L and Kenko 1.4x, at 300/5.6 (420mm f/8 effective), i can MF perfectly fine, it's bright enough for that. But then, so's the stock screen on my EOS 3 (just not as accurate because it's a matte-something). Using stop-down in my best contortionist-impression, the 7D is usable to about f/11 (f/16 effective) and the EOS 3 craps out at f/8 (f/11 effective)

With the Samyang/rokinon 35/1.4, it starts to get a bit darker but still perfectly good enough to MF (i'm pointing out the window on a fairly cloudy midday right now). In fact, it's more than adequate to frame at f/22 (at which point, who needs to focus?).
    Compare that to sticking the same lens on my EOS 3, at f/8 it's about as useful as the 7D katzeye+ob at f/22. (eos 3 has whatever screen it came with, anyone know what the default is? I've got an EC-c IV in the post soon anyway)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Hello Everyone,

Probably a newbie mistake, but where is the 5D focussing screen at the KatzEye site? The only models are the ones shown below

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Ca...cat_canon.html

Canon® Models
    7D* 10D 20D 30D
    40D 50D 60D 300D (Digital Rebel)
    350D (Rebel XT) 400D (Rebel XTi) 450D (Rebel XSi) 500D (Rebel T1i)
    550D (Rebel T2i) 600D (Rebel T3i) 1000D (Rebel XS)

I don't believe they make the Katzeye for full frame cameras. You'd be better off getting a Canon screen made for the 5D. Cheaper, too.
    Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    I don't believe they make the Katzeye for full frame cameras. You'd be better off getting a Canon screen made for the 5D. Cheaper, too.
    Oh ok, so the EG-S ... not split though, will have to try it out

Thanks