Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! Can I bring my camera gear on a plane?

Re: HELP! Can I bring my camera gear on a plane?

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

Quote Originally Posted by BES
    Have fun and do not forget to share your pictures here[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Thanks BES. I'll make sure to post some of me shots

OK, now, any suggestions for a lens rental from lensrentals.com?

I am looking for a lens to complement my 300 f/4 for general purpose. I was thinking maybe 70-200 f/4 IS?

thanks,

brendan
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Gosh...for me this is an easy one....depending what you are going to be shooting... last time I flew I took my 10-22mm, 50/1.4 (for low light indoor) and 70-200 L IS. It was a lot, but i did a lot of serious shooting so I felt like I needed them all (or at least at that time I thought I would). But if I went just for sight-seeing, I honestly would get something like 18-200 (I do not own this one) and 50/1.4 or 50/1.8 for low light indoor. and great portraits This would limit the weight and fuss with lens changing and would allow me to enjoy just snapping decent pictures while having fun. Life is too short for hauling too much stuff when on vacation.

Whatever lens you pick, you will not regret...sometimes I find if I am stuck with just one lens, it makes me more creative and just move more, not a biggie. frankly, sometimes I feel like I could shoot with my 50/1.4 forever []

Hi Brendan,

Just to confirm, you should have not problems - just put the bag through the X-ray machine with everything else, and don't have any liquid lens cleaner, etc., in there. On my last trip, TSA didn't bat an eye as my Lowepro Flipside 400AW went through, with body, flash, mini-tripod, and 4 lenses.

Have a great trip!

bburns: since you mostly shoot birds/wildlife, I would reccomend getting something longer than your 300. If you want versatality, then get the 100-400. You will enjoy the extra length once you get down there! Have fun!!

Alan

Brendan, I sure hope that you're not planning on taking pictures of "snowbirds!!!" There's an awful lot of them in Florida!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowbird_%28people%29

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

I am looking for a lens to complement my 300 f/4 for general purpose. I was thinking maybe 70-200 f/4 IS?

Depends on what you mean by 'general purpose'. On a crop body, the best general purpose lens IMO (and Bryan's too) is theCanon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. Also, it's on your 'wish list' - if you haven't rented it yet, why not try it out? The 17-55mm is on my camera most of the time - it's great for indoor shots, landscapes, family shots, etc. Personally, I think you'll be limited with the 70-200mm by the lack of anything wider than 70mm. You've got the long end covered with your 300mm prime. Depending on how long your trip will be, with a budget of $130 you might be able to rent both the 17-55mm and the 70-200mm f/4 IS.