Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5D Mark II price

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    I would have bought the 5d2 Refurb for $1700 a couple weeks ago if I wanted one. That to me is as low a price as you could get. I don't think a new one will hit $1700 until the 5d3 is out for a while, which prolly means you won't want the older version but the newer one anyway.
    That's assuming the price of the MKIII (speculative and unannounced) is closely priced to the MKII.

I wonder, what was the retail of the MKI when it was released?
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Right. A few weeks ago, the body was $2500 and the kit was $3300 - meaning the lens added $800. Today, the body is $2000 and the kit is $2800, so the lens still adds $800.

Perhaps it's semantics, but to me, that indicates that when you buy the lens with the body, you're getting a discount of $300 on the lens. It's the same with other 'kit' lenses (18-55mm, 18-135mm, 28-135mm, etc.).
    Talk about how the prices of the individual pieces went down,not the kit.

Obviously, great deals on the body are available. $2K is a very nice price compared to a few months ago. The 24-105 was running at $1050 until the tsunami, when like many lenses the price shot up, to $1150 or so, and now it's getting back close to pre-tsunami prices. Looks like the cheapest it's been in the past few years is just under $1K, which certainly makes buying it in a kit the cheapest option for getting a new lens.

Fundamentally, it doesn't matter how you portion out the discount. The bottom line is that if you buy body and lens together, you'll pay $300 less than if you buy them separately.

The other factor is use. I bought the kit 14 months ago, the going price was $3300 but Amazon had it for $3200 and I jumped. So, now it's $400 less than I paid, and I have no regrets whatsoever that I bought when I did.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I can absolutely guarantee that we'll see a 5DIII hit the shelves before we see a 5DIV.
    Are you sure? After all, there was a time I thought we'd see a 1DIX before a 1DX.

ATLAST GOT THE 5D MARK II............ Thanks guys for pushing me () .. Dont know if I did the right thing, spent almost more than 6K buying cameras and Lenses in just 40 DAYS.............

Quote Originally Posted by gandhi View Post
    ATLAST GOT THE 5D MARK II............ Thanks guys for pushing me () .. Dont know if I did the right thing, spent almost more than 6K buying cameras and Lenses in just 40 DAYS.............
    Your happy you bought the 5d, but your not sure you did the right thing?
    Why would you go out and spend more than 6k in 40 days on cameras and lenses, with the 5d, I'm assuming being the most expensive camera, last.
    I'd be interested to know what other equipment you bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7883 View Post
    Your happy you bought the 5d, but your not sure you did the right thing?
    Why would you go out and spend more than 6k in 40 days on cameras and lenses, with the 5d, I'm assuming being the most expensive camera, last.
    I'd be interested to know what other equipment you bought.
    I got 135mm f 2.0, 100mm f 2.8, 24 mm f 1.4, 2 X 430 EX II, a kit with umbrellas and stands, apart from all these I got 5D Mark II.
    I got all of them in just 40 days, now planning to get another 580 EX II(already have one)

Thanks for the info.