Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few of my images, C&C please

Re: A few of my images, C&C please

Quote Originally Posted by patham
    Would it be possible to do the same single image pseudo HDR with Lightroom?

I don't know if I'd call it 'the same' but a Google search for Lightroom HDR gives many hits, and the first one (Creating an HDR-like Image From a Single RAW File in Lightroom) seems to be what you're looking for, although it's a lot more work than I went through. There's also a Photomatix plugin for LR.

FWIW, one of the reasons that I got DxO was for better NR and lens-specific corrections (LR has them now, too, but DxO's are better for a variety of reasons). But, I've never used LR (and I'd likely go with Aperture for that type of application). DxO is really just a RAW converter, without the other features of image management that LR offers; but, DxO is really good at what it does. I previously posted a comparison with DPP.

My comment would be for the third shot. You
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Let's call this one #4. =) This is the unedited RAW file, just converted to JPEG and resized for web via Lightroom. No other editing has been done.
    <p style="text-align: center;"][url="http://patrickdurham.net/img/cigarette.jpg][/url]
    <p style="text-align: center;"](click for bigger size)
    <p style="text-align: center;"]Canon EOS 500D, Sigma 24-70mm EX DG Macro @ 70mm, f/6.3, 1/400s, ISO100 (no flash)

I'm quite interested in critique/editing tips for this shot as it is one of the more artistic shots that I've attempted. I'm not sure how much empty space to leave on the right of the shot when cropping and I'm also not sure whether the shot would work better as black and white or as a colour picture (with some post-processing).

Any and all suggestions are very much welcome!

My gear: Canon 500D, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 70-200 F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8 macro (non-USM), 50mm F/1.4

Hi patham,

Great shot! Does the 500D have spot metering? Your face is a little underexposed. Nice and sharp though. Personally I

Damian,

The subject is actually not me, but a friend of mine. The 500D does indeed have spot metering. As for the exposure, since the image was shot in RAW that would be quite easy to correct.

Thanks for your comments!

Patrick
    My gear: Canon 500D, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 70-200 F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8 macro (non-USM), 50mm F/1.4

As a scientist, I can't condone smoking. But in a shot like this, I find myself wanting to see the smoke...