Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hyperfocal Distance and Depth of Field

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Hyperfocal Distance and Depth of Field

Great post, electric eel. One brief comment:

Quote Originally Posted by electric eel
    Btw- depth of field is 1/3 in front of the focus mark and 2/3 behind, so if you focus at 30' , the depth of field would extend from 20' to 50', this is just a hypothetical example.

That's true near the hyperfocal distance but for other distances, the DOF can be the other way around (2/3 in front and 1/3 behind), it depends on the specifics.

Thanks Daniel, I wasn't aware of the switch, I'll definitely want to learn more about that, if you have any examples could you post?

Sorry, my mistake. It doesn't become the other way around, but it does slowly go from 50/50 out to 1/3, then 1/100:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

With Canon 50D, 55mm focal length, f/16, 11 feet subject distance: 2.74 ft in front of subject (33%, 1/3rd), 5.45 ft behind subject (67%, 2/3rds).

The closer you get to infinity, the more it stretches out behind the subject until it gets to infinity:

32-ft subject distance: 15.8 ft in front of subject (1%), 1231 ft behind subject (99%).

The closer you get, the more it becomes 50/50:

3-ft subject distance: 0.24 ft in front of subject (46%), 0.28 ft behind subject (54%).

Thanks Daniel, I never paid much attention to the tables but it appears they are valuable, have you ever checked the tables against the depth of field markings on a lens, I wonder how accurate the markings are against the tables? Time to drag the older lenses out and check this.