Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS T1i / 500D DSLR Review

Re: Canon EOS T1i / 500D DSLR Review

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    Macro would be one of the few cases in which I would think the new rebel would be superior to the 40D. It has better low noise performance and better resolution, both of which are important in macro since macro requires lots of light and since one tends to crop macro pictures. You'll be using manual focus most of the time, and probably won't care too much about super fast frame rate or responsiveness (thus much of the advantage of the 40d is negated). The rebel's superior screen will be of use for manual focus with live view.

I also shoot shows for my university's newspaper. Therefore, I need the 40D's better AF accuracy in low light, as the XTi sometimes hunts for focus in these conditions. I also like the fact that the 40D has 9 cross-type sensors instead of a single one in Rebel bodies. Even though both cameras have only a sensor optimized for low light (the center one), I would like to be able to focus with the other points as well for portraits, etc. without having to think about the orientation of the sensor I want to use.

Note that I did not listed shows in my list of uses, because diffraction is really not an issue at f/1.8 !

Still, I understand that the T1i's better performance in low light is a good thing for shows and the like. I will keep my eyes open for a 60D, even though it might cost twice as much than a used 40D.

For macro shots, I like the fact that the 40D focussing screens can be changed (for the Ef-S screen, namely), which can be useful to preserve battery life (even though it's possible to focus using Live View). I liked the split-screens of film SLRs and this is the closer I can get without going with a third party screen.

On a side note : are SD cards as fast as Compact Flash ? I like the fact that I won't need to buy other memory cards if I buy the 40D over the T1i.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Carnathan
    I think a low-cost full frame body would be a big seller. A refreshed
    5D (add sensor cleaning, Live View ...) would be very popular.

Touché ! Some people were expecting a split in this model line (3D and 7D) before the 5D mkII was announced. Even though the 5D mkII seems to be a fantastic camera, its price point is way too high for many amateurs like me. A 7D of some sorts (a refreshed 5D) would be a nice addition to Canon's lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by STL
    Even though the 5D mkII seems to be a fantastic camera, its price point is way too high for many amateurs like me. A 7D of some sorts (a refreshed 5D) would be a nice addition to Canon's lineup.

Don't hold your breath. As I explained in the following thread, the price premium for full frame is going down very slowly:

Does it make sense? An $1800 Full frame DSLR from Canon

A refreshed 5D would actually have a higher price than the 5D2, because the R&D amortization savings would be far less than the loss in marketability due to missing features. (Just as film cameras that lacked autofocus were more expensive, despite having lower R&D costs, because manufacturing cost savings were very little compared to the loss of market.)

Not meaning to argue like a DPR forum equipment-measurebating fanboi, but I find this section of the 500D review discussing the AF a bit odd:

I humored myself by shooting a youth soccer match with the T1i. As expected (based on my experiences with the other Rebel models), I threw away a high-90-some percent of the images of players running toward the camera because they were OOF (Out of Focus). The Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens I was using is easily up to this task, but the Rebel AF system, even using the f/2.8 cross-type center point-only, is not. If you are shooting sports with a T1i, setup for shooting stills and action that remains a constant distance from the camera. Better yet, step up to one of the higher Canon EOS model lines.

Isn't the 500D using the same AF module as the 450D, 400D, 20D & 30D? [*-)] Here's the review for the exact-same 9-pt. AF on the other cameras:

450D: The DIGIC III processor gives the XSi / 450D's AF system an approximately 30% speed improvement over the XTi / 400D. In addition, the XSi / 450D is also able to recognize a larger amount of defocus with its slightly longer vertical component of the center focus point.

Putting numbers on the realized advantages between the three AF systems I've discussed here is not easy - and it will depend a lot on what the camera is used for. Single Shot AF is working very well and I'm getting many very nice shots in AI Servo mode tracking action. I am certain that I am getting better results with the XSi / 450D than I got from the XTi / 400D... All said, the XSi / 450D gives us a very competent autofocusing system - it is excellent for the price.

400D: The Canon EOS Rebel XTi / 400D has inherited the 30D's high-precision 9-point autofocus unit. A sophisticated dual-precision/cross-type sensor in the center AF position is supported when f/2.8 or wider lenses are used. Focusing performance under low light has been improved by 1 stop (EV -0.5). My experienced focus hit rate has been very good with this lens - including the results from sports action at several soccer matches. The AF improvements are very welcomed.

30D: The Canon EOS 30D shares many of the 20D's excellent specs and features including the same 8.2 MP CMOS sensor, DIGIC II Image processor, 5 fps fast continuous shooting, high-precision 9 point AF (Auto Focus) system, viewfinder and a durable magnesium alloy body. These are the same core components that delivered the excellent performance from and image quality of the EOS 20D.

20D: The Canon EOS 20D seems to have cleared up this issue. Autofocus is both fast and accurate. Although the Canon EOS 1D Mark II is still superior for focus speed, I'm impressed with this upgraded feature on the 20D - it is excellent for a non 1-Series camera body.

The 9 focus points employed by the Canon EOS 20D are a nice upgrade from the 10D's 7 focus points, but not close to the 1D Mark II's 45 points. I missed some of the focus points when utilizing AI Servo to track action at a recent soccer match. I sacrificed my framing slightly to get the focus correct. And as I said before, focus accuracy is very good. My hit rate is noticeably higher with the 20D than with the 10D.

So my point is, ifthe AFwas good on the semi-pro 20D & 30D & previous Rebels, shouldn't the same module perform the same (at the very least) or better on the 500D due to the newer and faster DiGICIV and (presumably) improvedAFalgorithms? I'm just wondering why it suddenly turned "unusable in sports" when I never heard the same complaints when the 20D & 30D were, in their time, the semi-pro cams that were often used for sports/action by those who can't afford the 1-series. Thanks in advance for anyone who can give an explanation or their experience with these bodies that the same AF module.

Hi Eugene,

I don't like how that sounds (re-reading what I wrote days ago) - too harsh - I'll rewrite that.

I too would like to hear how other people are making out with the T1i's AI Servo performance - I was not very successfulat the game I shot with it. Results were similar to what I got from the XS.

Regards,

Bryan

I understand Bryan, no problem with me, I just found it curious as to why the AI Servo performance wasn't as good as those from the 20D/30D/400D/450D before, when it uses the same AF module. Also, I noticed this in your review:

And while it should not be news-worthy, the Canon EOS Rebel T1i / 500D's sensor arrived clean out of the box and has not needed a cleaning to date. I will note that this is not the latest Fluorine-coated system.

It seems to contradict what the Canon USA press release linked at the bottom of the 500D review said:

EOS Integrated Cleaning System

With the introduction of the EOS Rebel T1i camera, the entire Canon EOS system is now equipped with the highly acclaimed EOS Integrated Cleaning System. The Self-Cleaning Sensor Unit for the Canon EOS Rebel T1i has been upgraded with a fluorine coating on the low-pass filter for better dust resistance.

Lastly, this one, an issue which continues to confuse me since I keep reading contradictory info on other sites discussing the 500D specs:

One of the significant upgrades in the T1i over its predecessor, the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi / 450D, is the new, up from 12.2 MP and Canon EOS 50D-matching, 15.1 megapixel sensor (though the microlenses are not gap-less like in the 50D).

The DPR & RG sites still state thatthe 500Dalso has 100%-coverage, gap-less microlenses like the 50D sensor, while still other sites say the opposite. Can you tell us if the info you got was directly from Canon? Thanks again, since it doesn't make economic sense to me for Canon to build yet another 15MP APS-C sensor just for the 500D when they already have one for the 50D. If it's indeed true thatthe sensor does not have gapless microlenses unlike the 50D, how then can we explain the apparently better high ISO performance of the 500D compared to the 50D? Is it all due just totweaked onboard image processing, or lower read noise from having just 2 readout channels & a lower FPS needinglower-clocked signalling? [^o)]

Update:

Chuck Westfall has confirmed that the T1i self-cleaning sensor system does not have a Fluorine-coated low pass filter. The CUSA press release is in error.

Chuck also confirmed that while the T1ishares the same photosites as the 50D, the T1i does not have gapless microlenses. The T1i has two readout channels compared to 4 readout channels on the 50D.

Now we know.

Good to know []

Wow, that's a bit surprising, thanks for the update. So how do we explain the apparently better high-ISO performance of the 500D compared to the 50D, if the former doesn't even have 100%-coverage microlenses on its sensor? A tweaked in-cam image processing pipeline? [^o)] Lower read noise due to only using 2-channel readouts & lower FPS needinglower-clocked signalling?

Eugene - That question remains unanswered by Canon (I asked). []

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Bautista
    A tweaked in-cam image processing pipeline? [img]/emoticons/emotion-40.gif[/img] Lower read noise due to only using 2-channel readouts & lower FPS needinglower-clocked signalling?

[8-)]