Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 17-55mm usm & low light

Re: 17-55mm usm & low light

2.8 with IS can certainly be used well indoors.

I used my 17-55 in the Sistine Chapel which is about as low light as i've ever taken pics... most came out very good. Its super dark in there and there's signs every where that say 'No Flash Photography'... needless to say, flashes were popping off every 5 seconds or so and the attendants in the room didnt even try to to stop anyone. I didn't use mine once (outta respect). I always try to lean against something for added stability.

btw - if you use a monopod with the 17-55 IS, you have to switch off the IS anyhow

Quote Originally Posted by wusstigphoto
    btw - if you use a monopod with the 17-55 IS, you have to switch off the IS anyhow

Not true, actually. The IS system in the EF-S 17-55mm and the other (relatively) newer IS lenses senses that the camera is on a tripod, and fixes itself in the centered position. The 17-55mm manual recommends turning off IS when on a tripod, but only to preserve battery life. This is different from the older IS implementations (it was clear from my shots with an EF 300mm f/4L IS (a 1997 lens that lacks a tripod-sensing IS system) that when mounted on a tripod with IS on, images were blurred due to feedback of trying to stabilize an already-immobile lens).

Also, note that even in lenses where the IS is not tripod-sensing, a monopod is NOT a tripod. A monopod adds stability, sure. But you're still holding the monopod, and as a living, breathing person you will always have some degree of motion, and some of that motion will be transferred to the monopod, and thus to the lens - IS will help reduce that motion. So, when shooting with a monopod you should leave IS on.

You are correct, it does depend on the lighting and the subject. As long as the museum is empty, and no one is walking around to come between your camera and the item you are photographing, you can do a longish exposure. I've found that the crowding in museums makes it hard to do, and having the option of a fast shutter speed helps.

50mm F/1.8 1/60 sec ISO 3200, 5D MK II.