Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Wanted -- 5D Mark II or 1D Mark IV?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Help Wanted -- 5D Mark II or 1D Mark IV?

Alan thanks for thirding, according to the spell check it is not a word, but I will accept it.

Jon, thank you for your real world experience and your point by point reply.

I did not put a poll up but if I had I think the order of recommendation thus far would be:
    1. 5DII
    2. 7D
    3. 1DIV

I thought the 1DIV would be higher. I do know that the people with 5DII's always rave about them. The 7D seems equally loved. I do see the logic in the 5DII and 7D combo. I could add grips and extra batteries and still have a good deposit towards another L lens for the 1DIV cost. And selling the 50D would pretty much close any remaining glass deficit. On the other hand, junior is already eying up the 50D.

I am going to monitor this thread through the weekend as I weigh the options. I am leaning towards the 5DII right now, which is what I was thinking when I started this thread. Right now the 5DII is $400 less than a year ago and even if a 5DIII came out next month, it would most likely be priced back at the original 5DII price or higher. Only Canon and the Good Lord know that plan. Moreover the 5DII would still be a great camera and I could have it in my hands in time to shoot my daughter's dance recital, not insignificant to me.

Chris

Jon, also, what did you use for your butterfly photos in the what did you shoot this week forum? I am guessing the 5DII, but what lens? They are great! It is the kind of thing I am looking to do with my kids. When I look back at the images I have of them from my 50D, I have to say what ever I do going forward, that body is worth every nickel I paid for it.

Chris

Correct, all three were shot with the 5DII. The first two were shot with the 100mm macro (non-IS), both at f/8 and
    ISO800. The other was done with the 24-105 f/4, 105mm @ f/5, ISO 200.

I know how you feel about the 50D... it's a good feeling when a piece of equipment has been used enough that one thinks it is already worth the price. After that the rest is gravy

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts/opinions/experience.

After considering everything I am pleased to report that a 5D Mark II should be in my hands by tomorrow.[]

Chris

Awesome! I think you'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Awesome! I think you'll love it.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

In a word WOW! Me Likey!

I see why <span style="text-decoration: line-through;"]you us 5D II owners love them. This is a center crop from a group photo taken from halfway in the theater with existing lighting. As I crop, obviously I lose some quality, but this is my daughter. I do not have permission from any other parents to put their daughters on a web site and do not know most of them well enough to chance it. But they were moving, my daughter is going up, if you notice her feet are off the ground and skirt drawing down. And this is one of the first of a couple hundred I took, I am sure I will have better as I sort through them.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.60/IMG_5F00_0023crop.JPG[/img]

5D Mark II/EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM 2.8 aperture / 1/400 / 95mm /3200 ISO

Thanks again for your advice. This is going to be a great companion to my 50D. I will have some saving to do before I contemplate the 7D VS. 1D IV question. In the mean time as I get closer, I may stop for a 100-400 L zoom. I can see where it would mount quite nicely to the 5D II.

Chris

I sold my 40D and bought a 7D. (I already had a 5D MK II). The 7d just did not get used, so I returned it. I still needed a 2nd body so I found a deal on a used 1d MK III. It gets plenty of use, Its much better for my use than the 7D. I do not have the 1d MK IV, I was planning to get one, but the 1D MK III works well for me, except in the ultra high ISO area, I do not use it beyond ISO 3200.

The 1D low light appears to be just a tad better than the 5D MK II, the sensor has the same pixel density.

I have dropped my plans to upgrade from the 1D MK III to the MK IV due to the problems with AF in low light, its something I use a lot on my 5D MK II.

Images from the sensor should crop very well, its the same density as the 5d MK II, and the 5D crops extremely well.

I'd suggest the 5D MK II, but be aware that it is a bit of a shock going to a FF from a 1.6 crop. You will want longer lenses to get the same field of view, unless you are sticking to wide.

Quote Originally Posted by scalesusa
    I'd suggest the 5D MK II, but be aware that it is a bit of a shock going to a FF from a 1.6 crop. You will want longer lenses to get the same field of view, unless you are sticking to wide.

That is why I am going to take a look at the 100-400 L. But, the upside is that my 70-200 2.8 IS will get more use since it now falls in a real sweet spot for me. A lot of times it was a not wide enough, but I wanted more reach that the 17-55 or 24-70 afforded me. Since 70 is now really 70 and not 112, I will be using it a lot where I could not with the 1.6 crop.

Chris