Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Go Skate!

Re: Go Skate!

Very Nice shots Rodger!!!!! That's some very cool use of flash!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger
    You REALLY have to view Image 4 in the large size. Link provided. [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

I can't open the large version of number 4 though...[:O]

The "Post your best Action Sports" threads never seem to catch on. I don't think that there is a large enough demographic of users here that shoot the topic. But for those of us that do, lets see your skate photos!

Yeah too bad... I did some actionphotography when I started, but I don't do that so often anymore....

You must have been very patient while setting up for these shots. How many test shots did you make? Or are you a natural [A] Lucky for you your friends want to be your models as well [8-|]

I'm still thinking of renting the 15mm fisheye one day and go shooting at the local skatepark, but I didn't have time yet. If I do, have any great tips for me? Working with flash isn't really my strong side, so I won't make shots like yours...

Anyways nice shots! Give me a call when I can view the number 4 in large [Y]

Jan

Thanks Jan!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    I can't open the large version of number 4 though...[img]/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img]

I replaced the original crop with Sean's suggested 2x3 crop. That must be it. Link will be up when I get home tonight! Thanks for the look!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    You must have been very patient while setting up for these shots. How many test shots did you make? Or are you a natural [img]/emoticons/emotion-13.gif[/img]

The first two shots were the hardest to set up because I was directly battling the sun. For the 4th image light placement was pretty intuitive to me actually (my lighting skills are expanding! ) I talked to the skater to get a general idea of the trick before hand. We tried it probably five times before we ended with this shot. (I blew the timing on the others!)

I'm certainly no expert at action photography, but I think it's fun. I guess my only advice (for me as well) is talk to the skater/biker/rollerblader/whatever! and get an understanding of the trick. I find that when I shoot action "documentary" style, without having a plan, my images suffer. Talking to the rider and understanding the trick are what made the fourth image possible for me.

Thanks again!

Tremendous job Roger! Your sports photography is phenomenal...not that other work isn't great too :-)

Thanks Mark! Trying to find a college that encourages action sports photography is tough haha.

here is the LINK for the large version of photo #4. I also fixed the link in the original post, so it should be good.

Anyone else shoot any skate? Doesn't have to be recent!

Mice Rodger! Thanks for placing the new link and for your answer.

Trying to find a college that encourages action sports photography is tough haha.

That's because you look at it the wrong way. I think most colleges encourage it as long as you're original. Problem with actionsports photography is that it is mostly not about the picture itself, but about what the player is doing. And you often need to have a decent background story to understand what happened. Like the emotion after scoring etc. If you don't know what happened you might not like the picture at all, but once you know the background, it might be much stronger.

But if you could shoot action sports and have people liking your pictures without even liking the sport or knowing what happens, then you're on the right track and I think that colleges do encourage this. Problem is simply the basic reputation of a sportsphotographer.

Also the fact that a lot of people simply take shots (that sometimes are really bad and even out of focus) and sell them on the internet sets the boundaries for sportsphotograpy a lot different than let's say portraiture. I struggled a lot with this issue and stopped shooting sports, because my co-photographer wanted to sell the shots and go for quantity and I wanted to do it for free (for my fun) and go for quality.

Anyone else shoot any skate? Doesn't have to be recent!

Maybe anytime soon, you'll be the first on my list to show them if I do.

Jan