Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod & head recommendations for a 6'2" guy?

Re: Tripod & head recommendations for a 6'2" guy?

Sorry about bring back a thread from the dead but I thought people might be interested. Thanks largely to George Slusher's excellent replies in this thread I have since bought a Feisol 3342 Tournament Class tripod. I've had it for a few weeks so thought I'd do a quick review of it, I hope it's of help to someone.

Re: Tripod & head recommendations for a 6'2" guy?

When I got my previous body (5D) I also got an inexpensive tripod to try out. It is a Sunpak 7500, IIRC. It is aluminum, with three leg sections, a built-in monopod and a panning head with quick release. It's cheap and cheerful, and anyway, I have learned to appreciate it's thoughtful feature set, thoughI do long for the high-tech carbon fiber kits I've seen and read about. I'm about 6' 3", and my Sunpak with the integral monopodcanget so high I really can't see in the viewfinder when the camera is leveled. It has spiked feet for soft ground, and the spikes, which may be removable (I haven't tried) are set into rubber ends that grip hard surfaces effectively.

My 2c. I know it isn't sexy, but it seems very serviceable.IfI had $600 to spend on a tripod, I'd buy an EF 100mmf/2.8 macro instead. But that's just me!