Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just ordered Spyder 4 Elite on TDP's reccomendation; used TDP link

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I think we've hit the nail on the head here. First of all, Walgreen's applies an auto-correction routine to images sent to its lab. They generally do not tell you about this. Typically speaking, their correction routine will bump up contrast significantly and change the overall color of your images. If you want the prints closer to what you're seeing at home, you need to ask them to turn off all auto corrections or auto enhancements when doing the prints.

To see what kind of a difference it makes, try walking into the Walgreen's and asking for 1 image to be processed both ways--auto correct on and auto correct off. The difference will probably be very noticeable.

If the images are processed without corrections (as-is), then there's another reason why they appear dark compared to the monitor. Keep in mind that your monitor is back-lit. Everything image seems brighter on a back-lit screen than the same image viewed on a flat, reflective surface. At least that's what I've always attributed it to...

Personally, I use AdoramaPix. I'm a huge fan of their Kodak Metallic paper. I've always been very satisfied with prints done through them.
    Very interesting information Sean; thanks. I lived in Texas until 3 years ago, and had the same trouble with Walgreen's there, straight out-of-camera. I had one particular super shot with my baby daughter looking through a green country fence that was amazing, but Walgreens turned it black, even after I complained and sent it back twice.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

Sometimes you'll get a new lab processor that doesn't know that auto-enhancements are being applied. In that case, they only know how to push a button to print the image or minimal machine maintenance (replacing cartridges). In that case, they would be unable to help you without the proper training.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stephen View Post
    Sounds good, but I believe you had already calibrated your monitor? I hope my photo book arrives from Shutterfly looking OK (neither muddy nor over-saturated) for my Dad's 80th birthday.
    Yes, it was calibrated, but the Walgreen's photos were just like yours: dark, unacceptable. And, that was with me standing in front of the lab guy, telling him to shut off the auto correct. Maybe it's as Sean says, and they aren't trained on how to use it. Don't know if that's what happened in my case, but they have been consistently bad from Walgreen's. Walmart was better, but still too dark.

On a related note: What about the Lightroom tick-box for "add sharpness for printing" when you export your doctored-up RAW image to JPG for prints? Anyone use that?
    I had never used it before, and I noticed my glossy prints were looking un-sharp. Lightroom seems to anticipate this problem, and offers a choice of even more sharpening for glossy prints than for regular.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

Quote Originally Posted by shutterdown View Post

Shutterfly is now on my top list. Next up, Adoramapix. I'll run the same experiment.
    Well, I ran the experiment with Adoramapix. Great results from them (I usually print matte or lustre). These prints also mimicked my monitor. Good color and contrast.

When I placed the order, I had them turn off the auto-correction.