Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 70-200 f4 L for portraits?

Alan

Re: 70-200 f4 L for portraits?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I suppose it is good if your portraits are shot in optimum light or on a tripod.

I'd still prefer the 85 1.8 over this lens.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

You're right on both accounts. I also prefer the 85 1.8. Outstanding portrait lens, much faster, IQ excellent, and it's somewhat in the middle of the range of the 70-200.

We can always zoom with our feet, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

Not always. I was in a tight location today and really needed my 10-22's wide end. Unless by "zoom" you only meant "zoom in." :-)

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

Unless by "zoom" you only meant "zoom in." :-)
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yep. That's what I meant.

I suppose it is good if your portraits are shot in optimum light or on a tripod.

I'll agree to this. I should have stated in my first post: All those shots are lit with strobes. Does that mean that no ambient light can be seen? Of course not, but it does mean that in all the cases, I was using my strobe(s) as the main light.

It really depends. I think for photosurfer's needs, this lens will do great. I bought this lens with the intention of becoming a "strobist", and using flash in almost all of my portraiture. Therefore, I am finding that I really love the lens.

Keith may not have intended to always be using a flash or may have wished that he could get more ambient. That's totally legit. There are times when I wish I could open the aperture up another stop, but for my purposes, and my highschool budget, this lens is a winner.

-Rodger

Keith, did you end up getting either the 85 1.8 or the 70-200 2.8? Or both?

Now this is the difference between photogs and politicians. . . At least we can work out our differences. At least until it comes to Canon vs. Nikon. . .

Quote Originally Posted by photosurfer
    anyone had experience using it for portraiture?

Yes, and it's excellent. Even with just f/4 it's easy to get sufficiently-blurred backgrounds for your standard "deep DOF blurry background" headshot. I do a lot of those, so my 70-200 gets a lot of use. You may find that it's not quite wide enough for some shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger

I'll agree to this. I should have stated in my first post: All those shots are lit with strobes. Does that mean that no ambient light can be seen? Of course not, but it does mean that in all the cases, I was using my strobe(s) as the main light.

It really depends. I think for photosurfer's needs, this lens will do great. I bought this lens with the intention of becoming a "strobist", and using flash in almost all of my portraiture. Therefore, I am finding that I really love the lens.

Keith may not have intended to always be using a flash or may have wished that he could get more ambient. That's totally legit. There are times when I wish I could open the aperture up another stop, but for my purposes, and my highschool budget, this lens is a winner.

-Rodger

Keith, did you end up getting either the 85 1.8 or the 70-200 2.8? Or both?

I bought the grand daddy 70-200 2.8 IS. I do not own the 85 1.8. It is #3 on my list though.

I admittedly sounded harsh on the non IS f/4 version. My personal style for portraits 95% of the time does not involve a tripod. And for every other use I would use the 70-200 it just didn't cut it. Therefore it was a $600 space filler in my kit, and that is why I couldn't wait to sell and put that money toward something that better suited my style.

Keith, totally understandable man! No worries!

My personal style for portraits 95% of the time does not involve a tripod

You make an interesting point. Not specifically the tripod part, (I can't stand shooting portraits with a tripod either) but that a lens needs to fit the photographer's style to be appreciated. It could be a beast of a lens, but if it doesn't fit the photog's style, they're not going to rave about it.

Good stuff!

-Rodger