Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which accessory to get

There are also third party grips that you can buy relatively reasonably. "Vello" makes some pretty solid grips that are almost indistinguishable from their Canon counterparts and most cost between $60-$75.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    for a 50D
    yeah there are some third party ones on ebay that look just like canon's for around $35-40.

Its not like any of this costs much and normally I would be more inclined to get a number of these items, but since I just bought another 100-400mm L to replace the one that went for a swim, funds limit me to what I can get for no cost to me at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by nvitalephotography View Post
    Its not like any of this costs much and normally I would be more inclined to get a number of these items, but since I just bought another 100-400mm L to replace the one that went for a swim, funds limit me to what I can get for no cost to me at the moment.
    The BR strap, connected to the tripod foot, will make carrying that 100-400mm much more comfortable, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    The BR strap, connected to the tripod foot, will make carrying that 100-400mm much more comfortable, IMO.
    And it will help keep Nick from droping another one in the swamp

I've got a Canon bg-e2 I'm trying to sell. I could let it go for around what you're asking holler if you are interested

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    That is a major selling point for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nvitalephotography View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    That is a major selling point for me.
    If your lens isn't attached to the camera...Black Rapid or not, you would lose one of them either way. Sometimes it's less expensive to lose the lens IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post
    If your lens isn't attached to the camera...Black Rapid or not, you would lose one of them either way. Sometimes it's less expensive to lose the lens IMO
    in the situation in which I did lose my lens. I was holding the camera and must have pushed the release button on accident. So if I had a strap on the lens, it wouldn't have fallen and my hands were on the body. But I can see how it could happen either way...and in my case, the camera body is the much cheaper part.

Well accidents happen, but it is a bummer that yours costs so much. To be honest I won't place bets on what happens if the lens is attached to a strap and falls of the camera. In the heat of the moment you might lose grip on your camera as well. I wouldn't buy a different strap for this reason. It's no guarantee. And I bet you'll be much more careful handling the camera nowadays.

I personally don't like having a camera hanging around me on a strap. I only have the neckstrap attached for the times I feel I need more safety or at places where I might need my hands to get out fast Normally I just carry it in my right hand. That's why I would vote for a batterygrip over a strap.