Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm kind of getting into this panorama thing

Re: I'm kind of getting into this panorama thing

<div>

You can actually use any lens/body combination you want. The wider the lens, less shots are needed. If you are handy, you can make your own panorama head. I made my own out of birch plywood. The idea is to rotate the camera around a specific point in the lens so that the foreground and background maintain alignment. Happy panoraming!
    </div>

Wouldn't it be logical to rotate it around a point on or a plane through the sensor itself? And if so, how close is that to the existing mounting point for the camera on the bottom of the body? I guess each body is different. How do we find that point for our own cameras?

Nice job, freelance. In what part of Arkansas are you located? Little Rock, right?

Little Rock, at least until I can move and continue to make a living with my photography.

The point which some call "nodal point" or "entrance pupil" or "non-parallax point" is located toward the front of the lens, sometimes right in line with the color ring on the front of the lens. Here's a guide on how to find it.

http://www.panoguide.com/howto/panoramas/panohead.jsp

There's alot of good information around on that website.

The focal plane is shown on the camera body, I think it's on the side of the hotshoe/viewfinder on mine. The symbol looks a bit like this : -0-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30