Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6D on the way.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Congrats Mark! I am eager to see the shots you can get with this compared to a the 7d at high ISO. That has always been my only issue with the 7d especially this time of year!

Here you go. 6400 ISO and a pretty good crop. Never would have pulled this off with the 7D.

Mark - Flickr

Just had an "Ah ha!" moment with the shot above. The back of the couch where the cat is sleeping is at an angle to me. I focused on his head between his ears and then recomposed to get him in the frame better. Even though the camera's focus was locked, the plane of focus shifted slightly when I recomposed because of the angle. You can see the pattern on the couch is sharply in focus while his head is slightly OOF.

I'll have to re-think focus and recompose when shooting at an angle like that. This may have been a case where having all the focus points available and the choosing the proper one would have worked better than focus and recompose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f-r-shift.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	1604
    Last edited by M_Six; 12-29-2012 at 12:45 AM.
    Mark - Flickr

Mark,

Now that you've had the 6D for a while what are your thoughts?

Dave

I love it. Being able to shoot at high ISOs with confidence changes the way you look at lighting. And the fact that it easily AFs at f8 makes my Kenko 2x TC a bit more useful. I just need more time to get out and shoot. I spent the last four or five days recovering from a nasty bout of Norwalk virus that swept through our office and the rest of campus. Tomorrow and Saturday are supposed to be warm, so maybe I'll get out and shoot a bit.
    Mark - Flickr

Beautiful shot. I think since the cat is sleeping and not looking at camera, the precise point of focus is not terribly important.

I love my 6D. The one, single, and only reason I went Full Frame was for the high IQ at high ISO. I still cannot believe I can take a good shot at ISO 5000 or 6400, when I would balk at even using ISO 400 (Heaven forbid 800!) on my T3i crop camera.

Plus, I can grab focus in that big, bright, and RED center AF square in darned near dark.
    Last edited by Scott Stephen; 01-11-2013 at 05:14 AM.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

Here's one I just shot. This pic doesn't really show how dark it is in the shot. Just one 3-way bulb set about 2/3 brightness on my end of the sofa. Still locked on focus fine. Not bad noise for ISO 4000 either. Love this camera. I can just grab it and shoot and not even consider the low lighting.

Mark - Flickr