Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 70-200 F4 L IS or 70-200 L non-IS ???

Re: 70-200 F4 L IS or 70-200 L non-IS ???

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

My 2¢

I wouldn't buy a lens at this focal length with out IS. So I would definitely take the 4.0 IS over the 2.8.

I had the 4.0 non-IS and had a tough time finding uses for it. I have the IS 2.8 now and couldn't be happier. It is a beast though.

If I were a wealthy man, I'd own both the IS versions.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I always want to answer these comparison questions with the word BOTH, but it just seems too easy. It's really is the truth though isn't it? Do you want the EF300 f/2.8 or the EF400 f/2.8, answer BOTH. Do you want the 1DMKIII or the 1DsMKIII, answer BOTH. It's just sohard to choose.

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger

Keith,

Lets say you were rather wealthy and could make about $1250 over one summer after expenses were taken out.. would you be happy with the 70-200mm f/2.8 non IS?

Oh, you're primary use would be sports, but you enjoyed shooting anything.

-Rodger

I'd be happy until I had to shoot something under 1/125 or so. If you are shooting with a camera that has lower noise at high ISO I'd say do the 4.0 IS. If not buy the 2.8 and save up another $500-$600, sell the 2.8 and buy the 2.8 IS. Nice thing is, the lens will hold a pretty good value if you don't beat it up.
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

My 2&cent;

I wouldn't buy a lens at this focal length with out IS. So I would definitely take the 4.0 IS over the 2.8.

I had the 4.0 non-IS and had a tough time finding uses for it. I have the IS 2.8 now and couldn't be happier. It is a beast though.

If I were a wealthy man, I'd own both the IS versions.
    <div style="CLEAR:both;"]</div>

I always want to answer these comparison questions with the word BOTH, but it just seems too easy. It's really is the truth though isn't it? Do you want the EF300 f/2.8 or the EF400 f/2.8, answer BOTH. Do you want the 1DMKIII or the 1DsMKIII, answer BOTH. It's just sohard to choose.

I am totally happy with the 70-200 2.8 IS. I think I'd just get the 4.0 IS for it's lighter weight.

1Ds or 1D? I'd take the 1D. I think that would be the perfect compliment to the 5D2.

Studio, clear shiny day = 5D2.

Outside, beach, sports rainy = 1D3

Thanks for the insight Kieth.

Thats probably what Ill do. Or if I find I really don' need IS, it wouldn't be a bad time to pick up a strobe kit.

I'm sorry. Didn't mean to sidetrack the discussion.