Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for 1D MKIIII Owners

Re: Question for 1D MKIIII Owners

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Repeat after me: "I meant to say 1DIII, 1DII, 1DIIn, etc., not MKIII". Thank you. (There are two Canon "Mark III" models today, most likely with more to follow later - referring to one camera as a series leads to great confusion.)

OK, regarding "picking up both the 1D3 and the 1Ds3, why not just invest in longer glass...", the 1Ds3 (and 5D2, for that matter) actually yields a tighter picture after the outer 11.1 megapixels are cropped away, compared to a native 1D3 exposure on the same lens. As long as one doesn't mind cropping, having the two models yields options that longer glass might not.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Actually I meant to say MKIII...there shouldnt be any confusion as to which body it pertains to in my post. The other I referred to as the 1DsMKIII. If that confused you, I apologize. The longer glass scenario was just a thought and a good one at that. Aside from that, dealing with and storing 21mp files can be a task in itself. Again something the OP has to consider.

Just a bit of follow-up for those who helped. I went ahead with the 5DMKII purchase. For portrait and wedding work, it is the best camera I've ever owned.The high ISO noise handling and image qualityis going to be a revenue changer in low light weddings.

I wanted tocommentabout the 5DMKII as a sports body. For those of youshooting indoor sports in marginal light or outdoorsports inthe less well litfields, the 5DMKII, may not be a bad solution. I was worried about frame rate, black out time and focus performance, but I hadn't considered the impact of ISO-12,800 and 25,600 or the ability to crop to insane levels.

I shot volleyball indoors this weeked and ended up only using images from the 5DMKII. In a very poorly lit gym, I found I could set ISO-12,800,1/400, F/4.0 using my EF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM lens. On the 1DMKII, I was forced wide openand down to 1/250 or slower. I also found I could mount the EF24-70mm and shoot broad scenes while still retaining the ability to crop downto images that look like they came off the EF300 F/2.8.

The 5DMKII is probably not going to become the primary body for a lot of dedicated sports photographers, but I bet it starts showing up at high school football games this fall; especially on some of the really dark goat ranches that seem to host playoff games.

Canon 5DMKII, EF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM @ 70mm, M, F/3.2, 1/320, ISO-12,800

Geez. Love that high ISO performance. Nice picture too []