Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D800 official release, 36MP..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I sure hope so, Rick. It would save me a lot of money on a 1D X!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I sure hope so, Rick. It would save me a lot of money on a 1D X!
    If Canon planned on waiting for the 5D III release for after the 1D X, this will force Canon to rethink that plan. If they do not answer soon it will be a major marketing win for Nikon.

Provided Canon has an answer for this, and I think they do, it appears to be what they were posturing for with the 1D X replacing the 1D IV. (and the 1D X appearing to not fully replace the 1Ds III)

No IS on the new 24-70, everyone is disappointed that Canon doesn't have a match for the new D800...Canon lenses wont work on Nikons...it is sad

Well, any one selling their Canon gear let me know, I will give 20 cents on the dollar so you can make the switch to Nikon

Wow. I'm very curious to see some raw files from this thing. If it doesn't have all the problems that my 5D2 does (most importantly, poor dynamic range caused by pattern noise), I'm definitely going over to the dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
    Wow. I'm very curious to see some raw files from this thing. If it doesn't have all the problems that my 5D2 does (most importantly, poor dynamic range caused by pattern noise), I'm definitely going over to the dark side.
    Daniel, can you explain what the D800E gains with the addition of the anti aliasing removing feature, which I think helps image sharpness, but is a big plus for the astral photographers?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Sure. Basically, you have to choose between softness and artifacts. Most camera manufacturers have chosen softness, especially since sharpening can improve things. Very few manufacturers have chosen artifacts instead, since those cannot be removed in post. However, if you are shooting under conditions where the image is already soft (e.g. due to seeing with astrophotography), then the additional softness of the anti-alias filter only increases softness further, for no benefit. In such a case, shooting without the filter will improve sharpness.

Plus, it will really help astral photographers capture ghosts and spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
    Plus, it will really help astral photographers capture ghosts and spirits.
    Ohhh, that makes sense, now I get it, so this camera is even more desirable to someone like you. I think you need to go to that Sushi bar and give your mate from Canon a good hard shake. Ask him what's going on and tell him the faithful are getting nervous.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Does anyone feel like the D800 is exactly what everyone's been asking for in the 5D Mark III?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Does anyone feel like the D800 is exactly what everyone's been asking for in the 5D Mark III?
    And we thought nobody was listening ...obviously someone from Nikon was!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Yep, spec wise, it sure seems like it. I've read some posts from people that are finding issue with the images Nikon has posted. Personally I think they are good, but I do find it suspecious that the highest ISO of an image they posted was ISO 640. Also, native ISO100-6400 expandable to ISO 50-25600...isn't that the spec on the 5D2? Have to be shooting in DX mode to get the 6 fps. It would be a little funny if we are watching Canon and Nikon switch roles with Canon having the DR/ISO performance and Nikon the high MP.

Overall, it looks like a great camera. The biggest thing I see, besides the MP, is the AF. Nikon set the bar pretty high for Canon. So, here is to hoping that Canon meets or exceeds the bar with the replacement to the 5DII (and 7D)....I am also happy about the price point. I doubt Canon will be much different than $3,000 to stay competitive. I am a few years off from FF (if ever), but I like to think that it would be within range if I ever did decide to make the jump.

One thing I am wondering, how did they get the FF mirror to work with DX lenses? I thought that was part of the deal, that EFS/DX lenses were positioned too close to the sensor and the mirror would hit them. I am sure I am missing something, but maybe it is just about image circle.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    The other thing you've got to understand is that 99% of the time, scientific (and industrial) images look like crap.
    Hmmm...I think that I must have a scientific sensor some of the time....maybe an AA filter that can turn itself on and off randomly?
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-07-2012 at 07:30 PM.