Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should i sell my 60D and buy a 6D

The EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 is my favorite lens and is attached to my camera much more than any other lens. The image quality is similar to the 24-105 L you have, if slightly higher. Check out the MTF tables at the links below:

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/42...is_50d?start=1

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/42..._4_50d?start=1

I really like having a crop sensor camera. You get a much larger selection of lenses, and on regular EF lenses you only use the center of the lens which is almost always the sharpest with least distortion. I also really like the 1.6 times more reach you get. I started with a 20D which I upgraded to the 7D a few years ago and absolutely do not regret getting another crop sensor camera. I don't do much photography in dark conditions without a tripod, so for me the 7D does everything the 5D I/II/III can do and more.
    - Eric
    Canon 7D, 70-200 f/2.8 II, 17-55 f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.8 II, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 2x III, 430EX II
    flickr.com/ericolsson

Quote Originally Posted by Jespergb View Post
    Now i got the 24-105 EF-L lense - it is great - and i do see a quality upgrade. I think i'll stick to my 60D and try to improve my skills with that camera and buy some lenses instead. How is the sharpness on the "EFS 17-55 f/2.8"?
    Did you just pick up the 24-105? are you asking about the 17-55 to compliment or are you wondering if you made the right choice? I own the 60D/24-105 combo and love it, but folks will be quick to point out that 24mm on the 60D is not all that wide. For me it was the right choice because my favorite subjects (landscapes/kids sports) are outdoors and the combo provides a bit of protection from the elements. I learned the hard way with a lens that wasn't weather sealed. Ask yourself what you need. If that's hard to answer then experiment with what you have for a bit. There are often multiple solutions to one need. Need something faster than f4, you can pick up an inexpensive prime to go with your 24-105. Depending on your choice it may be much faster than f2.8. Something wider on occasion? You can add a 10-20 something and go really wide. Want one lens that that will be a bit wider and a bit faster, go with the 17-55. Need more length than 55, pick up a tele prime or zoom to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jespergb
    How is the sharpness on the "EFS 17-55 f/2.8"?
    There's more to life than just the sharpness. Enjoy your 24-105!

Thnaks for some good advices. I still think i want to upgrade - but i stick to my 60d for a little while before i do it.

I was in a similar situation as you after purchasing my 60D last year. What I did was to purchase a used 5D to experiment with the differences that full frame photography offered. I realize it is rather old and it does not have all of the bells and whistles of today's cameras, but there is something refreshing about using something that is simple and that is just a camera. Quality wise, the 5D is still very good in most conditions today. Of course your needs are probably different than mine. I use both cameras equally now.

About 2 years ago I too had added a 5D mk1 to my 50D to see if I wanted to go to full frame. Gradually, I started using the 5D all the time, even after I picked up a 7D 6 months later. Last March, I decided to sell both the 7D, 5D and my Canon 70-200 f4 to get the 6D and a Tamron 70-200. I do wish I had a backup camera at times, and will probably get one this spring, but overall I am very happy with my decision.