Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon EOS 5D MARK II

Re: Canon EOS 5D MARK II

Quote Originally Posted by peterborough_photography
    I cant decide if I should go to the 5d mk11, or buy a 7d and wait for the new model of the 5d ???

You are comparing two very different animals.Differences include:
    • The 7D is a 1.6 crop APS-C Vs. the 5d II full frame.
    • The 7D has double the frames per second capability, 8fps Vs. 3.9fps.
    • The 7D has the newer and better AFsystem.

You have used a 7D, so you should have a good idea of the upgrade it is over your 40D.

I have a 50D with a BG-E2N grip and four batteries and all are in great shape, so it should be with me for a while. I am pleased with the image quality I get. It was the best "prosumer" model available two years ago, so I went with it and I have been generally very pleased with it. Having said that, if something were to happen to it and I wanted to stay with an APS-C sensor camera, I would get a 7D, or the curent version available at the time I upgraded.

Earlier this year when I was looking for a second body, I went with the 5D II. It complements my 50D rather than replacing it. As you are doing weddings, I think you may regret losing the full frame capabilities you have become accustomed to. Moreover, the 5D II certainly is an upgrade to what you have while allowing you to maintain your current shooting practices. In addition, as I mentioned earlier, you can always sell a gently used 5D II easily. Then, depending on the condition of your 50D "backup", you may want to add a new 7D. That would upgrade your bodies for sometime.

I am really in the camp of get the best available at the time you are in need. You could lose a lot of quality waiting for the 5D III.

How many of you really rate the 5d mk11 ??

I love my 5D II and I am very glad I decided to pull the trigger. When I am not looking for a high fps -- usually my kids sports -- I take it first. The images are outstanding, and it is fast enough for my daughter's dance recitals. You have a 5D that I am sure you like, it is just getting tired from a long fruitful life. My guess is that you would not regret a 5D II purchase.

Good luck choosing,

Chris

Re: Canon EOS 5D MARK II

How many of you really rate the 5d mk11 ??

Love mine. But I shoot mostly macro and portraits, a few landscapes (I try), plus some astrophotography, so I can do without a great tracking autofocus (accuracy is important, though, and the 5DII af is accurate).