Thread: House Finale shot on 5DII's...."It's the future."

Re: House Finale shot on 5DII's...."It's the future."

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Perhaps there's a more informed person around here to clarify all of this

I am hoping for that, too Good times []

For movies these days most people are using red:

http://www.red.com/

the reason house shot with the 5d isprimarilybecause of its footprint. It had to fit in small places. Pro cameras are enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison

the reason house shot with the 5d isprimarilybecause of its footprint. It had to fit in small places. Pro cameras are enormous.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I can attest to that. A full setup with a film camera can top 200lbs if not more. The super shallow DOF looked amazing on the episode. My dad hated it but I'm a huge fan of macro stuff so I'm used to it. Not really into the show, but when I heard about the episode being shot on a 5D I had to watch it.

-Mike

I watch House regularly and I think it's obvious with a show like that that they didn't chose the 5DII for the cost savings. They're a high earning show and they already have access to all of the standard film equipment you'd want.

I don't know anything about film or video, but watching the episode it seemed like they shot a lot of it from different points within a very confined space. A major portion of the episode was focused on a patient caught in a collapsed building. I can only guess that they must have chosen to use a SLR to make shooting within this space much easier and to not have to adjust the set as much for the different shots.

Either that or Canon paid them a bunch of money

Quote Originally Posted by StapledPhoto

I can only guess that they must have chosen to use a SLR to make shooting within this space much easier and to not have to adjust the set as much for the different shots.

Either that or Canon paid them a bunch of money

I'm sure it is some combination of both. The director of the episode confirm that the small footprint was appealing for the tight spaces, but it seems like quiet a good publicity stunt for Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

Still videocameras used for films are a LOT better than the 5D. I can't imagine they would use a 5D for a serious cinematic movie.

I mean 1080p full-hd sounds like a lot, but professional cameras use a much greater resolution. And I'm not sure what resolution cinemas render, but I'm guessing it's greater than 1080p.

For TV-appliances it's a great tool though, since it will never demand a greater resolution than 1080p. At least not for now [img]/emoticons/emotion-13.gif[/img]

I didn't see anyone post this info so here we go:

Red One is about an APS-C sized sensor at 4k resolution where the 5D mkII is 5.6k.

Movie theater projectors are 2048 dpi. So I'd be willing to bet the firmware in the 5DII's on movie sets are hacked to produce at least the 2048 dpi.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    Movie theater projectors are 2048 dpi.

Wait, wait. They don't use film anymore? Where have I been? [:O]

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Wait, wait. They don't use film anymore? Where have I been? [img]/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img]

Of course they still use film! Nowadays I've noticed that indie productions are using REDs to try and show off a lot... Personally I still like the tried and true film. Or IMAX.... mmm... IMAX

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    Movie theater projectors are 2048 dpi.

Wait, wait. They don't use film anymore? Where have I been?[img]/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img]

Theaters are increasingly switching over to DLP projection. It is a very costly conversion, so many smaller theaters/chains haven't made the switch, but most larger chains have gone all digital.

You can thank James Cameron for killing film projection (the new 3D fad requires digital projectors). That, and the fact that digital is far cheaper to distribute. A single print of a film isridiculouslyexpensive, so to create enough prints to flood the market opening weekend isridiculouslyexpensive X 4,000+ screens. I understand the economics of moving to digital, but....

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89
    . Personally I still like the tried and true film.

I would definitely agree. There is just something more natural and beautiful about good old film.
    </div>