Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selecting the AF Point: Automatic or Center Point

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Selecting the AF Point: Automatic or Center Point

The wider the lens the bigger the issue you will have recomposing.

I usually use the center and recompose.

Sports are done with Al Servo and center. I find that auto will jump back and forth, and my keeper rate will take a dive.

I do not use auto selection either. As I found at least 50% of the time the camera will not choose the subject which I have in mind to focus on, am I just unlucky?

Anyway, I use the center point most of the time as it has a good accuracy and it's fast. For sport and stage photography I'll certainly use auto servo withONLY the centre point. For stationary like landscape and portrait I will take a little bit time to choose the right point to focus right on the subject. If and only if the subject is completely off the area which is covered by points, I'll choose the nearest pointto the subject and recompose after focusing since there isn't too muchI can do beside this.

Open for corrections on my focusing habit[]

Yeah, like Benjamin said, I have also had the same unlycky experience when the camera choose the subject, so I always use the centre point as a start and then change when there is time and a need for it.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]I still use my T90&rsquo;s so I find manual focus the best, if the shot comes out focused on the wrong spot; I just slap myself round the face.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Not get pissed at the camera.

I have my focus point selector mapped to the eight-way on the the back of my 40D; center click picks the center point and the AF button resets.