Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making Due with a Lens that was Cheap in 1995

Re: Making Due with a Lens that was Cheap in 1995

Very nice! What cheap lens from 1995 are you talking about anyway?

I like these shots, because you never really "see" humming birds. Heck, who knew they had feet!??! I thought they just never stopped flying! (haha okay j/k but still) You really don't know how beautiful they are untill you can actually look at them and take in their colors and features.

I agree i do not hve the best eqipment either this just gave me inspiration. Thanks

Thanks. I'd like to see lotsmore photos taken with kit lenses too. People could get frustrated, and think good pictures are only possible with something they can't afford. I absolutely, positively cannot afford "L" lenses. But I work really hard on the craft of picture taking, and hope my business picks up in the meantime.

Good points, mmphoto12 and Steve.

It is absolutely not true that you *need* expensive equipment to take good pictures. I was in Zhutien (Taiwan) last summer, and by the train station out there they have a little museum dedicated to works of a famous local photographer (I forget his name). I walked around the museum in awe of his work (all black and white and about 50 years old) until my wife and kids got tired of waiting for me and made me go.

Before leaving, I looked at a small exhibit that displayed the equipment he used. Nothing but a tripod, a 35mm camera (film, of course) and a slow 50mm prime lens.

Don't misunderstand me: I love expensive camera stuff And some pictures and certain effects are best achieved (or can only be achieved) with costly gear. But great pictures are possible with very modest equipment.

yup i agree i have an outdated tamron 70-300 f/4 - 5.6 and a kit lens with a rebel xt i am frustrated easily with it of course but i make due with what i have plus i have another 75 years to get all the gear i want so no stress lol

That sucks it doesn't focus sometime... But you made great pictures! My lens does focus properly always but I haven't made anything like this... Good job here!

Thanks!

Steve and Jon,

Great pictures! I love hummingbirds, and it gives me something to look forward to this Spring, since I just got a camera. I am excited about the prospect offinding and photographing some soon. I am encouraged by the thought that I may not need more than my lowly 28-135 that I have now!

Thanks HiFiGuy!