Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMG_0001 !!!!!!

Re: IMG_0001 !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett-Grimsley

Hot damn. [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img] Congratulations!

I'm hoping I'll have enough spare money later this year to pick up a 5D mkII, and completely skip over upgrading to a new crop body.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Yep I was in the same frame of mind. I tossed up for a long time between upgrading to the 7D or the 5D. I don't particularly need the crop/ extra reach of the 7D but it certainly has some features I could have used. The major drawback for me was all the talk of AF issues with the 5D, since using it I have absolutely no issues. The thing thatwon me over was that very often when I troll throughflickr or other photo sharing sites a huge proportion of the shots that make me stop and say "Wow" were shot with the 5D MkII.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Thought I'd add a couple more photos with the 5D Mk II.

First one is of my work actually. It's an underground copper mine but we have a bunch of smelters, concentrators and other assorted plants as well. This is one of the largest operations in Australia. This storm came around this arvo, I was hoping the storm would come across the mine and throw a few lightning strikes at the stacks (happens a lot) but wasn't to be.

5D Mk II, 24-70mm f/2.8L @ f/4, ISO 200, 3.5sec

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.34/21Apr2010_5F00_MIM_5F00_WEB.jpg[/img]

Second one is of my other border collie "Jack" in sleep mode (for once).

5D Mk II, 24-70mm f/2.8 @ f/2.8, ISO 100, 1/200sec, 580 EX II on camera with Speedlight Prokit diffuser attached.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.34/20Apr2010_5F00_JACK.jpg[/img]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    Build quality (to me) feels great. I've heard people say it's not built well but I can't fault it.

When I first got my 5DII, I was moving from a 1D, and the 5D felt like a toy. But that only lasted a day or two.

hey! how do you find the weight of the 24-70? i have a 24-105 at the moment and thinking of getting the 24-70 or a 70-200 f4 IS. i'm really concerned with weight of the 24-70 &amp; it doesn't have IS. i know its a personal preference but do you think the f2.8 eliminates camera shake enough when you're hand holding it. thanks!

I personally don't mind the weight. It's obviously heavier than the 24-105mm as it needs the extra glass to achieve the 2.8 aperture. In the grand scheme of things though I'm very willing to carry a little extra load for the images it can produce. It is a fairly heavy setup as I have the BG-E6 battery grip on the camera as well but I'm already used to the weight.

I was thinking of holding out until a version is released with IS. So far, though, I haven't had much of an issue with camera shake. IS would also add another 200g or so to the lens so it'd be heavier still. For me, the 2.8 aperture helps a lot with reducing camera shake. That and the fact that I can crank the ISO on the 5D MkII up to 1000 before I start to worry too much about noise. So it's easy for me to increase the shutter speed to help with over caffeinated hands.

The 70-200mm f/4L IS is another great lens, that's a tough choice you have there. I'd say go for the the 70-200 since you already have a good general lens in the 24-105, unless you have a need for the wider aperture of the 24-70.

thank you for the reply btaylor...yeah i think its a tough choice between the 2 but i'm leaning towards the 70-200 f4 IS as i find the 24-105 f4 excellent as well. i hope someday canon will release a 24-70 with IS, if there's one in the near future i'll definitely get that one. enjoy your new toy! thanks!

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]They must have sent you my 5D MkII by mistake Ben I&rsquo;m sure I ordered it, well maybe not just yet but it certainly has made up my mind what to get next in a FF.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Good on ya mate enjoy and great shots out of the box, I almost forgot what the Isa looked like. By the way can I ask where you got it from ? Always looking for a good deal.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Cheers Scott