Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samyang(Rokinon) 35 1.4....WOW

Re: Samyang(Rokinon) 35 1.4....WOW

I <span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]own the 8mm and there are no electronics on this lens.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I understand this to be true for all the Samyan lenses.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] What that means is that there is no data communicated and no camera driven aperture setting. You shoot AV or Man. There is a focus ring and an Aperture ring.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] If for example the Aperture is set to 3.6 the camera records 0.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] If you have the lens stopped down then focusing will be a challenge in low light conditions because the camera can't automatically open the aperture while you focus.<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]</o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]This would certainly account for much of the reduced price when compared to a similar, but fully automatic, Canon.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] The auto focus and Aperture control are pretty complex parts of the lens (Strip these out and you've instantly saved a lot on manufacturing and R&amp;D). The Canon badge also has a price attached.<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]</o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]My understanding (from reviews) is that all these lenses are both Full Frame and Crop compatible (but the fisheye needs to be modified by trimming down the hood - not something I'd do personally). But make sure of this before you buy one.<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]I've heard people complain that it is hard to accurately focus manually with a modern SLR because the focus screen is not as bright and has no manual focus aids.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Split prism screens are available and easy to install. The best quality screens seem to be Katzeye and cost around $100-150 from memory.<o></o>

@iND...

here is a link to photozone.de that did a review of this lens on crop sensor camera, where it also shone quite well.

www.photozone.de/.../655-samyang35f14eosapsc

The lens is completely manual, just like the "olden" days!! It has an aperture ring and a focus ring, as William stated above. You either shoot im M or AV mode, and the camera meters ttl....stopping down will focusing is difficult because the viewfinder gets darker. but I bought this lens to use mainly at 1.4-2.8 or so, although it does have very, very nice corners, too!! Unfortunately, aperture is not recorded , but shutter speed is....I think there are ways to get the metadata to work....just haven't figured it out yet!!! It is a pretty fantastic piece of glass, and I will continue to give some feedback as I play more with it!!

Cheers,

Gregg

That looks like a fun lens Gregg. The samples you provide look pretty good. I

Thanks Jan....it does take a little getting used to no AF...although my hit/miss ratio is getting better!! I will be getting a focus screen here pretty soon.

Here are a few more pics to peruse....I even compare it to my 50 1.2L, with a relatively close framing between 35 and 50mm...

Rokinon 35 1.4@f2, no PP

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/3603.AI6C1185.jpg[/img]

same at f1.4, no PP...very good 3-D effect, IMO

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/4377.AI6C1183.jpg[/img]

compared to the 50 1.2L....both shot wide open, with sharpening and a little PP to each(same amount, but I balanced the exposures)

35 1.4

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/7532.Rok-35-1.4-vs-50-1.2L_2D00_1.jpg[/img]

50 1.2

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/2625.Rok-35-1.4-vs-50-1.2L_2D00_2.jpg[/img]

35 1.4

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/8461.Rok-35-1.4-vs-50-1.2L_2D00_4.jpg[/img]

50 1.2

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/8055.Rok-35-1.4-vs-50-1.2L_2D00_6.jpg[/img]

I think I could use both in everyday use...I really like what the 35 does...a very nice lens, especially for the price!! I will do some more shooting today for the holiday today!

Happy 4th of July everyone!!

Gregg

Gregg I think the 35mm is the winner for me because on my screen it seems that the zone of focus is sharper on the 35mm (referring to the bottle shots). Were the bottle shots taken at f1.4 with both lenses? Although I think the 50mm has a little more background blur in the bottle shots, but only slightly. While blur and sharpness are both important, my opinion is that sharpness is of higher overall importance because most shots have the point of interest within the sharp zone (most, not all).

However it is difficult to compare